Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train strike Italy-May 27,28? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-strike-italy-may-27-28-a-44445/)

Walter May 16th, 1999 01:31 PM

Train strike Italy-May 27,28?

A *very* reliable poster on rec.travel.europe said there is a *possibility* of a Fs train strike for 24hr starting on May 27 (Thursday) at 9pm. He said he would keep that NG updated on it. Thought this info might be useful in helping someone have a "plan B" ready. Regards, Walter <BR>

Janet May 16th, 1999 05:36 PM

Oh dear, I hope not! Though "lo scopero" is one of my favorite words, a train strike is not welcomed! I will be in Italy during that period and using the trains. Walter, what do you mean by an "Fs" train?

Joanna May 16th, 1999 07:57 PM

"FS" is Ferrovia Statie (spelling?), the national rail system of Italy, which would mean that international services would not be affected. For your sake Walter I hope it doesn't eventuate. My friend and I had to pay over 300,000 lire to taxi from Assisi to Rome when there was a train strike, luckily near the end of our trip but we would have rather not wasted the money. Unfortunately our hotel was paid for and we were supposed to meet people that night, so no alternative.

Mike May 16th, 1999 08:07 PM

Travel is indeed fun. After ten years of hitting the rails in Europe and several strikes later, I found that worrying about all this is not worth it. In Italy, strikes usually mean a slow down. The train usually comes, albeit later most of the time. When I travel, I often check out newstands for info. on European affairs and strikes. Keep informed and let the travel chips fall. However, in Italy, the bus is an alternative. If you are lucky, you will be stuck in a town with a lot of Chianti and happy locals. Good luck folks

Joanne May 17th, 1999 05:47 AM

We were in Italy in March and there were "wildcat" strikes for several days. We saw trains running, but also experienced cancellations at the last minute, and were told that they could not guarantee our arrival, or were warned that we might be put off the train mid-route. We finally opted for a rental car, as we had our kids with us and didn't relish the unpredictability, not to mention the pre-paid hotel reservations! <BR> <BR>Expect total unpredictability. Also expect that no one will be able to tell you what is running and what is not. <BR> <BR>If you haven't paid for train passes yet, I would rent a car. We received no refund for our $1200 Eurail passes, even though we used them for only one train ride in France.

Clara May 17th, 1999 09:53 AM

<BR>Yes, a 24 hour strike has been called <BR>Long distance trains are usually available (the Eurocity from Rome to Wien and viceversa, for instance). If you don't have to, try to avoid travelling on the 28 of May in Italy. It may be very stressful.

topdown Apr 13th, 2002 01:44 PM

topping important issue

cmt Apr 13th, 2002 03:50 PM

This strike "news" was for year 1999, not 2002. Bored practical joker topped it.<BR><BR>(And it's "sciopero.")

mia culpa Apr 13th, 2002 05:40 PM

Sorry, didn't read the date and another post referred to "the strike mentioned in the previous post".<BR>Is there any NEW news of the Italian national strike threats that were in the media about two weeks ago? A long stike was threatened but have heard nothing since.

Sue Apr 15th, 2002 07:02 PM

OK...so will there be a strike or is this all a joke?

DL Apr 15th, 2002 09:53 PM

May 27 is Monday.<BR>Do you mean June 27 which is Thursday or do you mean May 27 Monday?<BR><BR>I am set to travel on May 27 on a train that runs for 3 hours starting at 8PM. What would happen on a train that is moving at 9PM and a strike starts?<BR>

DL Apr 15th, 2002 09:55 PM

Sorry, just noticed that the original post was in 1999, not 2002.<BR>Lucky, no strike is good news.<BR>

carlos May 6th, 2002 10:02 AM

MAY 2002 UPDATE:<BR>MAY 8 PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION<BR>MAY 9 AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS<BR>MAY 10 ALITALIA EXPRESS<BR>MAY 13 AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS<BR>MAY 17 PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION<BR>MAY 18-19 RAILROAD AND FERRY EMPLOYEES<BR>JUNE 4 AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS<BR>EXPEDIA.COM IS THE ONLY MEDIA THAT HAS PUBLISHED THIS LATE BREAKING NEWS SO FAR ??????

Diane May 14th, 2002 03:07 PM

Still trying to get info on this topic! I'm leaving for Italy this Friday, was planning on taking the train from Rome to Chiusi Sunday, May 18 (one of the days of the strike) -- really want to go THAT DAY, as that's the day I'm starting a bike tour! (would go on Saturday, but already have a hotel paid for in Rome -- and really want to spend that one day in Rome!) <BR><BR>Any suggestions on bus travel from Rome to Chiusi? Would welcome any suggestions!