Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train schedule from Paris to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-schedule-from-paris-to-venice-35546/)

David Mui Dec 15th, 1998 01:06 AM

Train schedule from Paris to Venice

I intend to travel by train from Paris to Venice and would very much know the time table so that I can plan my trip. Any help would be appreciated.

Chad Dec 15th, 1998 05:15 AM

David, <BR> <BR>Check out www.raileurope.com. You can find out fares, times, etc. on that site. <BR> <BR>I took this trip in July and chose to do it during the day rather than overnight. If memory serves me correctly, the overnight train leaves Paris at about 8:00 p.m. and arrives in Venice at about 8:30 a.m. We took a faster Euro-City train, in the morning, from Paris to Milan (about 6 hours) and changed trains in Milan to finish the trip to Venice (another 3 hours). It's a very scenic trip and certainly doesn't seem that long. <BR> <BR>Chad <BR>

David Dec 15th, 1998 06:54 PM

Dear Chad <BR>Thank you for your valuable information. Now I have decided to break the journey in Milan before going to venice. <BR>David

Donna Dec 16th, 1998 06:32 AM

Hi, David! Glad to hear you will stop over in Milan. Plan to spend the night there! You can book a wonderful hotel just steps from the train station called the Hotel Excelsior Gallia. Get off the train, drag your bags to the hotel, then take a taxi to the Duomo. Huge cathedral, great people watching, large shopping gallery (Galleria), short walk to the Opera. Then get up the next morning, drag your bag across the street to the train, for your last leg to Venice! <BR> <BR>Training is the greatest way to travel. Be sure you book the TGV out of Paris as far as you can go, another great experience. <BR> <BR>Best wishes. <BR> <BR>

David Dec 16th, 1998 10:12 PM

Dear Chad <BR>Actually our trip starts in London. My wife and I will travel to Paris by the Channel Train. Then from Paris to Milan, Venice, Florence and Rome before flying back to Hong Kong. <BR>Normally we traveled by plane and this trip we make it special by doing most of our stops by train. <BR>Thanks for the hotel recomandation. <BR>Best regards David <BR>

David Dec 16th, 1998 10:18 PM

Hi Donna <BR>Sorry for putting the message wrongly in Chad's name. The message is addressed to you instead. <BR>Sorry again. <BR>Best regards david

Bob Brown Dec 17th, 1998 06:34 AM

Out of curiosity I checked the schedule, too for the Paris - Milan run. There are two daily TGV trains. Both leave from Gare-de-Lyon. TGV 17 leaves at 8:12 and arrives in Milan at 14:50. TGV 19 leaves at 11:12 and arrives at 17:55. <BR> <BR>It is possible to go from Paris to Milan through Switzerland, but the trip is longer by at least two hours and you must change trains at least once. <BR> <BR>I think the TGV trip would be fun. How fast does that vehicle go? 180 mph or so?? There is a premium charge for the TGV. <BR>

Donna Dec 17th, 1998 09:25 AM

Hi Again, David: Your itinerary is just too good to pass up. Try to get the earlier TGV out of Paris, giving you an earlier arrival in Milano, giving you more time at the Duomo/Galleria/people watching/etc. Gare de Lyon is not far from the Bastille, and if you want a charming hotel in the Bastille area please do try le Pavillon Bastille. Decor in blue/yellow,cobblestone courtyard,small yet very modern rooms, elevator, breakfast room. If you are here in the States the 800# is 1800-233-2552, or you can call directly 43.43.65.65 or fax 43.43.96.52. <BR> <BR>The Gare de Lyon is just straight down the street from the hotel, and the taxi ride is less than 8 minutes from hotel to gare. <BR> <BR>The next day, your train to Venice is slower, but that first view of Venice as you are crossing the water is awesome! <BR> <BR>Happy travels. When are you going? <BR> <BR>Donna

David Dec 17th, 1998 09:45 PM

Hi, Donna <BR>Actually I have been to the cities I mentioned quite a number of times myself. But this my first trip to travel with my wife in Europe (although she has been to many other countries with me like North and South America, Australia, South East Asia etc.) By the way we are based in Hong Kong. Since this is my wife's first European trip, I think it will be nice to travel by train instead so that she will also have the chance to see a bit of the countrysides besides the big cities themselves. We plan to start our trip on 3rd January 99 and it will last for two weeks. There is always not enough time when you travel. This is life. <BR>Thanks again for your good suggestions. In Paris we plan to stay in Hotel France d'Antin in Opera as it is very convenience for us to tour around. This is a small nice hotel which my colleague stayed a few months ago. <BR>By the way we are travelling with Europass 1st class, do you know how much surcharge we have to pay from Paris to Milan???(or any other person knows about this???) <BR>best regards david <BR> <BR>Hi, Bob <BR>Thanks for the information on Tgv. I have decided to try the TGV. I suppose it must be traveling very fast. I tried the bullet train in Japan before and they are fast. <BR>regards <BR>david

Bob Brown Dec 18th, 1998 07:56 AM

I do not know what the extra charge for the fast train is. The web site I consulted did not say. <BR>I usually consult the SBB (Swiss) site because it is comprehensive, but it is silent on fares except those within the limits of the SBB connections. It does not even quote private rail prices, except for those where the Swiss Pass is fully valid. There may be better sites. <BR>Like Rail Europe. <BR>