Train..Salzburg to Zurich

Apr 8th, 2002, 02:52 PM
julie

Train..Salzburg to Zurich

Need comments on the train from Salzburg to Zurich. Travelling end of July, and would like to "experience the countryside and its beauty". Is this the best way to get back to Zurich..airport for that "extra day" built into our schedule. Which train is recommended..and are reservations necessary...how long is the ride?? My thanks..

Apr 8th, 2002, 03:50 PM
BillJ

Julie, check out www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

I too would like to hear responses to Julie's inquirey, and if the above site is a good way to buy train tickets?

As they say - - - to the top!

Apr 8th, 2002, 04:23 PM
jahoulih

There are direct trains at 6:22, 10:31 and 12:31; they take about 6 hours. Reservations aren't required, but they're a good idea. Don't buy from RailEurope--they charge about a 40% markup. Since you're headed to the airport, I assume this train ride is at the end of your stay in Europe, so you'll have time to reserve your tickets in Europe at the beginning of your trip.

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Bob Brown

I have ridden from Zürich to Salzburg in the day time. I suggest taking a good book, or a portable CD player and 3 or 4 good Cds. Frankly, the ride is boring.
You are either at the bottom of a hole or in a tunnel. I am sure some people will disagree with me, but train routes are along the bottoms of valleys.
At Innsburck you can see a few peaks if you look north. The best part about our trip was the dining car. Great dinner.

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Uncle Sam

I agree with Mr. Brown. Pretty boring and about 6 or 7 hours of boring. you are primarily at the bottom of a valley the whole way. after you've seen one valley, they all begin to look alike!

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Uncle Sam

Forgot to say...if you want scenic, try Salzburg to Venice and/or Munich to Florence across the Brenner pass in November.

Much better!

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Tony

Bob Brown..

If you find the ride from Salzburg to Zurich boring, then I think it is time you gave up on Europe altogether - not worth your air fare.
O.K, the first hour or two to Innsbruck is merely very pleasant,after which the Inn Valley and the Aarlberg Pass is quite stunning, followed by another pleasant hour or so traversing Western Austria and Leichtenstein, with a final run alongside Lake Zurich.
I know there are many train rides more scenic and exciting, but boring it is not, and as you yourself said, "Nothing could be Finer than Luncheon in the Diner".
To Julie - try for a left hand window seat for best viewing.

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:06 PM
John

I've taken this route twice. And while Bob is correct about being in the valley and in tunnels quite a bit, I did not find the ride boring at all. Parts were beautiful, most was at least "very pretty". While it won't be the most scenic route you will take, I'd rate it as very enjoyable.

I concur with Bob about the on-board restaurant meals. The direct Salzburg-Zurich train we road on had awesome food--at a price that could be described as quite high, I might add.

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:20 PM
greg

I have also taken this train from Zürich to Salzburg. Add me to same column as Mr. Brown. I would find some other way to travel this section next time.

Apr 14th, 2002, 06:16 PM
julie

Even though I am banking on Tony's comments...I would love your "other ideas" on routes between Salzburg and Zurich???? Those of you that think the Austrian countryside is "boring".. I invite you to travel across the Texas plains...at anytime of the year..now that's BORING!!!! (actually, even ugly!!!)Also, does anyone have an idea of a hotel very close to the airport in Zurich? Last nite of my European dream vacation; therefore, pampering is still in order...ha!!! Thanks for all of your input!!!! julie

Apr 14th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Bob Brown

For Tony A. I am headed back to Europe this summer, so I am ignoring your somewhat ill timed and misplaced advice. Reduced to its essentials, you are saying that if I find that Zürich - Salzburg trip boring, then I lack the judgement to know what is beautiful and what is not.

This summer I am making my 4th trip to the Berner Oberland because of 1 reason: I find it beautiful and I am champing at the bit to go see it again. Now, if you don't agree with me that the Berner Oberland is beatuful, then the basis for your opinion of my judgment of the Zurich Salzburg train trip is severely undercut. So if I have the facility to judge the Jungfrau beautiful and fascinating, do I not have a creditable basis for finding that train trip boring?? You can't have it both ways!!

Also boring does not equate to avoiding.
Riding through the Austrian countryside, even if I was staring at the side of a road cut a high percentage of the time, was a good time to listen to the symphonies of Mahler and Mozart. And the scenery did not distract me from having a most enjoyable meal. I know good food, too.

PS. I will go back to Europe after this trip, too, BUT I still think the ride from Zurich to Salzburg is boring.
However, that is not sufficient grounds to deter me. I put up with a lot of boredome to reach high priority objectives.
Trans Atlantic airplane rides to Europe are boring as everything but I keep taking them because the payoff outweighs the uncomfortable nature of the trip.
Or do you want to argue that an 8 hour plane trip in coach class on Delta is a great thrill??
I bet we agree on the discomfort angle!! At least if we don't, your creditability just took a hit!!

Apr 14th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Ben Haines

The Transalpin leaves Salzburg at 1231 and reaches Zurich at 1827. It has second class seats, a restaurant car, and a first class panorama car.

Ben Haines, London