Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Salzburg to Bamberg Sat Oct 2 have to change in Munich-Octoberfest?

Notices

Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are novice train travelers here with a Eurail pass and need to travel by train from Salzburg to Bamberg this Saturday. Just checking the schedules on www.raileurope.com right now and see we really have no choice but to change in Munich and this will be a Saturday during Octoberfest. Have heard mention that it is standing room only on trains from Salzburg to Munich during Octoberfest. Is that true in First class as well? As Eurailpass holder we can travel on "TRN" trains and "ICE" right? We are thinking of trying to leave here early and allow extra layover time in Munch in case of delays. So far, our trains from Budapest to Vienna and Vienna to Salzburg have been smooth sailing but maybe this might get more complicated. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Check Die Bahn for a complete list of train schedules. Here is one of their input templates:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It takes about 4:20 minutes using faster trains through Munich.

If you want to avoid Munich, which I do not think is necessary, change the "Means of transport" to "only local transport". There are local train connections through Landshut which take about 6:20 hours.

Regards, Gary
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Well, try to avoid all the local trains through Munich that only have 2nd class as those will be TRUE HORROR. I haven't been in first cass during Oktoberfest. I'd believe there would be a far bigger change of getting a seat?

But why don't you got to Salzburg Hbf now and get a seat reservation for Saturday on you fav. (non local) trains to Bamberg. They can be bought from the DB ticket machine. Just show the reservation with your ticket.

At Munich station it will be a peak travel day, but that shouldn't be a problem since you have a reservation.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gary! That website is terrific! Glad to hear you don't think we need to avoid Munich. We will allow extra time and maybe have a beer and toast Octoberfest!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM

IMO during Oktoberfest with a first class pass is that the SRO, if it exists, is in 2nd class only. You will be save from SRO (and occasion vomit on the floor IME) in 1st class - don't worry about that at all IMO

and yes use the bahn.de link Gary gives above as RailEurope.com does not nearly show all the zillions of trains there are.

Really put angst to rest on that.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM

bigger chance..
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Ops, today the GDL union was on strike in Munich. All the U-Bahns only ran every 10 or 20min, except for the trains to the Oktoberfest. Wasn't too bad, my train was delayed by about 30min, but I'd bet on it the the train drivers union will be on strike on Saturday too. Better check the Bahn website and http://www.mvg-mobil.de/ before you leave.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Looks like the strike is permanent, only 50% of all trains in Munich are operating. Night lines are canceled completely.
http://www.mvg-mobil.de/streik/index.html

And they just increased tariffs by another 3%.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

oh boy, this is getting interesting. First of all, would love to know what "SRO" is?
Husband and I refer to local tourists at home as "LCD" = maybe the same?
Good/bad info about the strike. There are some trains through Augsberg - maybe we should avoid Munich and consider it the "leisurely scenic" route? Thanks so much for the help. We are so clueless and learning as we go but having fun too. Off to dinner somewhere in Salzburg!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM

If you get your reservations tonight after dinner or tomorrow, there's no reason to avoid Munich . So far strikes have been limited to MVG operated subways and busses, DB trains were not affected except for the increased number of passengers.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Standing Room Only = SRO - no it is not the name of a rock band. and never never in first class in my four decades of riding German trains - even in Munich area during Oktoberfest
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am about to lose my Internet access. Thanks for clarification on "SRO" and we'll just hope for the best with our first class pass and will leave early and allow extra time. Will try to report from Bamberg "IF" we make it!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Be aware that once you get to Bamberg the train station is somewhat removed from the part of town you're going to want to walk around in..plan on taking perhaps a short taxi ride once there
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM

love - have you been to Oktoberfest before?

If not consider storing your bags in a train station locker in Munich when changing trains and take the short about half-mile i'd say stroll over to the Oktoberfest grounds - just follow the crowds, most of whom are not drunk and not rowdy but just into some good fun listening to Oompah bands and mass singing and revelry.

I have done that exactly - just going thru Munich and heading over to Oktoberfest for a few hours and a few hours can be enough to get the flavor of the event - you can freely IMO pop into the various behemoth beer tents - each with a different decor and flavor (and type of beer - each tent sponsored by a local brewery i think) - and then head back to the station and then having experienced Oktoberfest, which to me is one of the most cherished memories i have in decades of travel in Europe.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Hello from Bamberg!!!! We had absolutely no problem getting here from Salzburg today. The Munich train station was very lively and we do wish we had stuck around a bit to witness all of the revelry but we were able to make a very quick connection on to a speedy train to Nurnberg. We LOVE Bamberg already. And absolutely no problem walking from train station to very comfortable BW Bamberg and then on to the old part of town. So glad we are booked here for 3 nights. As always, thanks for the help!