Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train route Oberwesel to Rothenberg ob der Tauber on to Fuessen in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this route doable in one day and not be too rushed in RodT? Want to make hotel reservations for evening close to Castles. Will be June 2011. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM

You can check the schedules to see if it's doable for you. It wouldn't be for me.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

If you're in Oberwesel already, I'd visit the Rhine and Mosel Castles before/instead of doing the long trek to Füssen. They're very different experiences. IMO, the Rhine/Mosel castles are more interesting, more historically significant, and more visit-worthy.

www.burg-eltz.de
www.marksburg.de
www.reichsburg-cochem.de
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM

That's 8 hours sitting on trains in one day - I'm not sure that Rothenburg ob der Tauber (NOTE the spelling if you look it up, ...burg not ...berg!) is worth it. It's cute, but artificial (rebuilt) and very very overrun with busloads of tourists. Anyway, that's for you to decide.

If you take the 06:50 train from Oberwesel, with three changes of trains en route, you can be outside of Rothenburg by 10:48.

To get to Füssen that same evening, take either the 16:07 departure (four switches en route, arrives 20:55) or the 17:07 (three switches, arr. 21:57) or the 18:07 (five switches, arr. 22:45).
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM

I agree with Russ. The castle in Fuessen is a faux castle. The White House in DC is older than Neuschwanstein. There are wonderful castles along the Rhein and Mosel. I grew up near Fuessen, and before Disney put it on the map, that castle was strictly an "alo ran" on the tourist circuit, much frequented by Bavarians who longed for their old king (I'm a bit sarcastic here).

DalaiLlama: I also agree with your assessment of Rothenburg o.T. But, actually, that town was little damaged during WWII. So it is still fairly much the "original". The destroyed and rebuilt nearby city you may have in mind is Wuerzburg. My favorite in that area is actually Dinkelsbuehl; it's les touristy.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:53 AM
ira

Hi tt,

>Is this route doable in one day and not be too rushed in RodT?<

NO

Old Aug 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM

>There are wonderful castles along the Rhein and Mosel.

Trouble is, most of them were rebuilt from ruins in the 1880s with a few exceptions. During Louis XIV concquests of Rhineland (War of Palatinate Succession etc.) it was the SOP of the French Army to leave no fortifications behind the lines, even if unoccupied.
Many of the ruins have been rebuilt in the Wilhelmine period, as a look back to the glorious times of back then.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM

We really enjoyed both Neuschwanstein and Rothenburg obT.

Of course Neuschwanstein is a palace rather than a fortification, but the setting is terrific and the story is quite interesting. Plus, the workmanship and artistry in the rooms that were finished is really wonderful. I don't know that it is better or worse than a visit to Rhine/Mosel castles - just depends on what a person is interested in. If you go to Neuschwanstein expecting knights in shining armour, you'll be disappointed. Go expecting a fairytale sort of place build by a madman.

As for Rothenburg obT - we went in the middle of summer, but didn't experience the tourist hoards that so many people complain of. I learned later that people from the tour buses pretty much stick to a main route to Rathaus and the surrounding area. It is incredibly easy to ditch the masses and find yourself wandering this great old town almost by yourself - we did it without even trying.

Anyway - I do agree with the others that the OP's original plan is too much travelling for 1 day. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in against the grain about Neuschwanstein the Rothenburg.

I also agree that Dinklesbuhl is a very neat town. And it has some of the friendliest people we encountered in Bavaria, which is really saying something because we met a lot of really gracious people there.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:21 PM

I'll echo the Dinklesbuhl sentiments.

As for the OP's original question, Dalailama's train times affords the OP five hours in R. obT. That's certainly enough time to walk around town and soak in the atmosphere. If you end up liking it, you can return on another trip! Bring a book for the train rides.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM
ira

>Dalailama's train times affords the OP five hours in R. obT. That's certainly enough time to walk around town and soak in the atmosphere.<

chacun à son goût

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

A VERY belated thanks to all of you--back in 2010 for your responses to this inquiry. Realized you were correct in your advices! So, we ended up doing the trip June 2011 sans R. ob T. Maybe visit it another time. We ended up training from Paris to Koln, then cruised down the Rhine to Oberwesel for a couple of days. Later in the trip we visited Fussen and surrounds. Thanks again. Judy