Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Rome to Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-rome-to-florence-1064815/)

LBev769375 Jul 24th, 2015 07:30 AM

Train Rome to Florence

I see Italia Rail has opened on line ticket purchases for November. Am I correct in assuming that the "direct" train is the Eurostar from Rome to Florence? Since I have not ridden a european or italian train before, where would I find the car number on the train? On the door, above the door, anywhere else on the train? Silly questions I know, but I don't want to find myself on a local train in a smoking car, heading to Naples. Thank you for your input.

John Jul 24th, 2015 08:23 AM

Seat61.com has ALL the answers on trains in Europe. EXTREMELY helpful.

Michael Jul 24th, 2015 08:25 AM

Track number is what you want if you want to make sure that you are going to Florence and not Naples.

My impression is that closed public spaces are now non-smoking in Italy, and that would include trains.

If you arrive 20 minutes before departure time, you'll have plenty of time to find your assigned wagon and seat. No need to worry about it now.

PalenQ Jul 24th, 2015 09:08 AM

smoking has been banned on Italian trains for years and in stations too - if fact nearly all European trains have been smoke-free for a long time now.

Car numbers are posted usually on the outside of the car and in inside the door - there may well be also composition boards on the platform that should exactly where your car should stop.

anyway yes www.seat61.com has lots of info as do my other two favorites - www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

You will have no problem finding your train car and you can board any car on the train and walk thru it to your car if worried the train will take off without you.

neckervd Jul 24th, 2015 11:19 AM

Eurostar Italia trains between Rome and Florence run about every 15 to 30 min. The journey time is 1 1/2 hrs. Trains which need more than that are NOT High speed trains.

PalenQ Jul 24th, 2015 12:03 PM

I've done Rome to Florence on Regional trains for less than a dozen euros or so - takes twice as long or more but goes on different tracks thru lots of towns and stops at lots of stations, like Orvieto - I rather enjoyed seeing these towns even from the slow-moving train.

High-speed trains take an all-new right-of-way skirting all towns and I think most do not stop between Rome and Florence.

kybourbon Jul 24th, 2015 04:46 PM

Italia Rail is a reseller that charges a fee to book. If you want to book directly with either actual train operator on this route, you would book with Trenitalia (can book 120 days in advance) or Italo (can book through the end of summer schedule - 2nd weekend in Dec).

>>>Am I correct in assuming that the "direct" train is the Eurostar from Rome to Florence?<<<

No. The ES designation is no longer used although some of the old ES trains have been used on IC routes. The newer trains are the various Feccia trains.

Car and class will be on the outside of the train car. As you are booking on Trenitalia, you can't really choose which car as the next available car will pop up for seat selection. You can't flip through various cars and choose seats. You can only choose the available seats from the car that comes up on your screen. I like a seat with a table (not one with a flip-down tray like airlines) and I don't like to be close to the restroom.

LBev769375 Jul 27th, 2015 09:34 AM

Thanks everyone. I believe I have it figured out and should be able to book the Frecciarosa the last of Aug for the last of Nov. 300km/hr will be a first for us and will make the trip to Florence even more exciting. Thanks

PalenQ Jul 27th, 2015 10:20 AM

Curious as to what you will pay for that Nov train trip booked at this time?

Thanks!

neckervd Jul 28th, 2015 07:21 AM

The actual webfare (trenitalia homepage) for November is 19 EUR

kybourbon Jul 28th, 2015 08:44 AM

>>>The actual webfare (trenitalia homepage) for November is 19 EUR<<<<

I see the fare on Trenitalia as cheap as 17€ although the OP didn't tell us an exact date in Nov. (17€ on the 11/26 and 11/27 trains at 7:05 am, 19€ on the 7:20 trains).

***07:05 Roma Termini Arrival 08:36 Firenze S. M. Novella
Duration 01:31
Train Frecciarossa 9566
Offer Super Economy Price 17.00 €***

>>>>I believe I have it figured out and should be able to book the Frecciarosa the last of Aug for the last of Nov. <<<<

I don't think you do. You don't have to wait until the end of August. You can book the end of Nov. starting the end of July (120 days out). As of today, you can book through 11/27. Tomorrow you will be able to book through 11/28, etc.

>>>300km/hr will be a first for us and will make the trip to Florence even more exciting. Thanks<<<<

Not really as there are quite a few tunnels.

LBev769375 Jul 28th, 2015 10:29 AM

Thanks kybourbon, I was a month late, I'll book tonight for Nov 25. OKh well, maybe I'll be a month late coming back. LOL....Nah,,the wife would remind....