Search

Tea in Turkey??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Jonathan

Tea in Turkey??

With concern over water quality in Istanbul, is the tea safe to drink? Are there certain places to avoid drinking it...i.e. street vendors? Any hints are much appreciated!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Sherryl

I drank tea everywhere I went in Istanbul, Bodrum, Marmaris & Kusadasi - never had a problem - don't know if I was just lucky or what. Maybe because they have to boil the water to make it ...

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Mary

The tea is safe to drink, and very good. The only reason to avoid tea offered from any vendor, is you may feel reluctant to just get up and walk away without a purchase, but you can. Just don't lead anyone on and be gracious. By the way, almost everyone selling something will offer you tea.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:53 PM
KG

I agree with the last 2 responses, mainly b/c the tea is indeed, boiled. I never had a problem with the water, however, b/c I drank it from the bottle. All visitors traveling through Turkey should do the same, as so many native Turks do as well.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Ariel

May I give a little more advise on the tea thing. Do try the Elma Cay (pronounced Chai, means apple tea, Cay means tea). However, elma cay has become the tourists' tea, so you should try regular tea as well. You will be served tea if you go to buy a carpet. But you should also sit down at a a local tea house. These place are usually filled with older men playing backgammond or cards. Look for a shelf inside with some books on it (my Turkish husband tells me that it is the law to have books available (and I've always seen them there). Tea is a very social event in Turkey and such an important part of the culture. Also, since it is boiled, you really don't have to worry about places to avoid. The tea houses are always a great place to people watch. don't be put off if its just men at it. Women are certainly welcomed. <BR> <BR>To make Turkish tea (in case you decide to buy a tea pot at a local market, which actually come with a large bottom pot and a second smaller pot that fits over the bottom and hten a lid for hte smaller pot). You put water in the bottom pot and tea leaves in the top pot, 1 large spoonful per person, plus one for the pot. Bring the water to boil and then pour most of it into hte top pot over the tea leaves. Fill up the bottom pot again, bring it the boil and then reduce to simmer and steep. <BR> <BR>My father-in-law (Turkish) takes the breakfast tea making very seriously and it was a while before he allowed me to make it on my own without first checking the amount of leaves and time it had been steeping. <BR> <BR>If you are very adventous try adana cay (spelling is porbably off!), I don't actually find it very delicious, but they say it is very healthy.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Jonathan

Thank You to all that replied to my post. I feel very assured and will enjoy some tea in Istanbul. We toast all of you! <BR> <BR>Jonathan

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 05:38 PM
M&J

Hello Jonathan. We hope you enjoy your travel to Istanbul. We thoroughly enjoy Turkey. We have a write-up for the first time visitor to Istanbul. If you want a copy, let us know. But there is a price---you have to share your trip with us upon your return. <BR> <BR>Ariel--thanks for sharing the brewing process.