Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train ride - Siena to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-ride-siena-to-venice-103959/)

Debbie Feb 4th, 2001 06:13 AM

Train ride - Siena to Venice

Going to Italy in October. Rome - Florence - Tuscany - Venice. Can we take a train directly from Siena to Venice without stopping in Florence? How long will the ride be? Leaving car in Siena on Sunday morning. Hope to get to Venice by mid afternoon. <BR>

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Feb 4th, 2001 06:19 AM

Debbie, It will go thru Florence and take more than 4 hours each way. Why ?

Stan Voogt Feb 4th, 2001 07:24 AM

check the web site www.raileurope.com We picked up tickets through them Venice to Florence r/t. They have schedules etc.

Paulo Feb 4th, 2001 08:20 AM

As Bob informs, one has to go thru Florence. He's quite genereous with the travelling time. At best you'd be abl;e to do it in 5 hours! <BR> <BR>There's an IC train leaving Florence at 11:23am, arriving in Venice at 2:33pm. The next train is an Eurostar, leaving Florence at 12:42pm, arriving at 3:33pm. If you miss this one, the next train would also an Eurostar leaving at 2:42pm, arriving at 5:33pm. <BR> <BR>You'd therefore should plan to be in Florenze S.M.N. station in time to get either one, the 11:23am or the 12:42pm train. <BR> <BR>Trains out from Siena are quite awkward ... to get there in time, you'd have to take the train leaving Siena at 8:51am, arriving at 10:29am. <BR>The next train leaves Siena at 10:55am, arriving at 12:41pm, not in time to catch the 12:42pm Eurostar ... you'd have to wait 2 hours in Florence for the next train out. <BR> <BR>Except for Sunday, the way to go would be by express bus. Unfortunately on Sundays there are only a few frequencies that wouldn't work for you :-( <BR> <BR>In your shoes I would consider changing plans and return the car in Florence ... <BR> <BR>Paulo

debbie Feb 5th, 2001 03:23 PM

Bob - Why? Just don't want to waste too much time on a train. We are flying out of Marco Polo in Venice and will only have Monday and Tuesday to "get lost" in Venice. And, maybe time to boat over to Murano for a few hours. We've decided to miss most of Florence on this trip, only 1 night. I know, everyone says your can't but we only have 13 days and really want to spend time in the hill towns of Tuscany and to see Venice up close and personal. <BR> <BR>Stan- Thanks for the rail website, I'll check it out. <BR> <BR>Paulo - Thanks for the info. You are always so informative! I think we'll take your advice and drive to Florence in time to catch the train leaving at 11:23 or 12:42. That way we will get to Venice in time to get acclimated.(I believe the Hertz office is closed on Sunday in Siena anyway.) <BR> <BR>I'm soooo excited ...

wendy Feb 5th, 2001 04:12 PM

You probably won't want to take the train to Siena anyway, because it's not in the town. Buses stop on the top of the hill, but if you take the train, you either have to walk up the hill or take a cab, which isn't time-effective at all.