Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train reservations Rome to Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-reservations-rome-to-florence-314841/)

mardlow Mar 2nd, 2008 10:27 AM

Train reservations Rome to Florence

My husband and I will be flying into Rome and immediately needing a train to travel to Florence. Is it advisable to book reservations while in the US? What is the simplest method to get reservations while still in the US? The Trenitalia Web site seemed a bit impenetrable.Is it accurate that if we miss the train due to flight delay that we will lose our reservation and pay a hefty fee to rebook once in Rome? We will be traveling mid-week the end of March and wonder if we can easily get first class reservations once we get to the station. Lastly,is it fairly simple to catch a taxi from the airport to the train station in Rome and can you give guidance on the cost difference between taxi and train for two people?

ira Mar 2nd, 2008 10:46 AM

Hi M,

1. There are at least 2 fast trains per hour from R to F. You needn't reserve tickets in advance unless youa will be traveling on weekends or holidays.

1A. You can get reduced fare Amica tickets by booking in advance.

2. If you miss the train,
"Travelling on another train

This is allowed, subject to ticket validation and by paying 8.00 euro and any extra fare necessary for using a train of the same or different type or different class or service on the departure date of the train booked and <b>up until three hours afterwards</b> also after this period if taking the first train available of the same or lower category for arriving at the destination&quot;.

That is, you will end up paying full price + 8E, which is better than losing the ticket entirely.

It's only 1:30 hr, do you really want to pay an extra 12E pp for 1cl?

A taxi will cost about 55E.
The express tain to Roma TE will cost about 23E.

Hope this helps.

((I))

mardlow Mar 5th, 2008 05:05 AM

Hi, Ira--

Many thanks for your information. We will be arriving in Rome on Wednesday, March 25. Am I correct in assuming that all the holiday festivities will be over by then, and we should have no difficulty booking a train once we arrive in Rome?

We want to have reserved seating together. Is this possible ONLY if one travels first class?

Should we decide to book here in the States, what are &quot;Amica tickets&quot; that you reference?

Is the price that you quote for the train (23E) per person or for two?

Thank you again for all your assistance!

PalenQ Mar 5th, 2008 12:40 PM

Most seats on the trains are 2nd class and you should not, even in the holiday hubbub when perhaps fewer Italians are doing that train, getting two 2nd class tickets together

you can reserve the train when you arrive at Rome's airport at the train station, at travel agencies for the same price or at any station

I would not worry at all about getting on these super frequent trains

Amica fares are fares that are discounted but sold only in limited numbers and thus often sold out in advance

On the Rome-Florence trek the savings may not be all that much - at least to want to navigate the terribly frustrating to many www.trenitalia.com site where you could book them, in theory

If they remain you could ask at Rome Airport about that fare but Rome-Florence trains are so cheap i would not worry about it

If you want to book in the U.S. i always say call BETS 800-441-2387 as they have great personal service. But i believe you would pay significantly more here than there. But i understand folks who want just to have their ticket and board the train and that may be priceless to them. To eliminate the language problem or reduce it have all your information written out - train time, date, first or second class - two people (if seniors say that - 60 and over), etc.
I'd go to www.bahn.de the German rail website which has schedules for all of Europe trains and print out schedules of trains you want and then just take that to the ticket window as it would have all the info on it - train number, etc.

Be sure to say two persons and whether first or second class

Personally for an extra 12 euros i'd recommend first class even for a 1.5 hour ride as there is a lot more room for luggage, larger seats and yes perhaps a better chance of getting two seats together. You may also get a gratis cup of coffee and a candy bar.

ira Mar 5th, 2008 02:07 PM

Hi M,

Easter Sunday is March 23. Folks should be back at work on the 25.

If you use the express train from FCO to Roma Termini (23E for 2), you can buy your tickets to Florence at the same time. They will put you on the next available train.

All ES* and AV trains are reserved seating only, 1 and 2 cl.

&gt;..what are &quot;Amica tickets&quot; that you reference?

Amica tickets are discounted. You can see the amount of savings by selecting &quot;standard&quot; and &quot;amica&quot; fares at trenitalia.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

ira Mar 5th, 2008 02:09 PM

PS,

When we did this on our last visit, our luggage was held up for so long that we thought it had been lost.

It took us 3:30 hr from the time the plane was scheduled to land to get to the head of the tracks at Rome TE.

Just in time to see the 11:30 to Florence depart.

There is a very nice self-serve resto at the train station, if you get there too early.

mardlow Mar 5th, 2008 02:14 PM

Thank you, PalenQ and Ira, so very much for your advice! A great relief to talk to people &quot;in the know.&quot;

I will be back in touch should we have more questions on this score.

My best,
M

Linda431 Mar 5th, 2008 02:20 PM

Just as an aside, Amica fares were already sold out on the train I needed for April 6th. It was available on an earlier train, but that didn't do me much good.

Not the end of the world if you miss it, like Ira said. I still like to have the e-ticket ahead as we don't speak the language. (I missed a train in France one time before I learned the language)

PalenQ Mar 6th, 2008 03:44 AM

&lt;Easter Sunday is March 23. Folks should be back at work on the 25.&gt;

Someone can correct me if needed but i believe many folks, schools, etc. have the week before and week after Easter off as holiday - one reason the Easter period in Italy is so hectic is i think because folks from France, etc. flock here during their vacation period

that said it means trains may be less crowded than usual as the business crowd is on holiday not riding the trains

not sure but that's my take

kybourbon Mar 6th, 2008 04:28 AM

The Leonardo Express train from the airport is 11&euro; per person. Rome instituted a set taxi fee from the airport to Rome center of 40&euro; a couple of years ago. If you take a taxi, make sure it's an official taxi.

Linda431 Mar 6th, 2008 07:00 AM

How do you tell if it's an official taxi?

Centralparkgirl Mar 6th, 2008 07:20 AM

I've also been trying unsuccessfully to use the trenitalia website. I used it last September - with difficulty - but I was able to make a reservation back then. I just found an agency in Manhattan that can book it for me (actually for my son and his friend who's studying abroad), but they want a $25 fee per train (not per person). This would be an extra $50 for the two trains they need (Venice to Bologna and Bologna to Rome). The $25 is more than the price of the ticket - so should they just wing it? The dates of travel are 3/25 to Bologna and 3/27 to Rome. It's my son's first trip to Europe and I just wanted it to be easy. But that trenitalia website...........

altamiro Mar 6th, 2008 07:28 AM

&gt;It's my son's first trip to Europe and I just wanted it to be easy.

If you want it to be easy, just buy the tickets when you are there. Thatīs easy.

PalenQ Mar 6th, 2008 07:32 AM

I agree with altamiro

there will be absolutely no problem buying these tickets on arrival - at Rome airport train station if you want

2 trains an hour all day

put angst to rest