Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Reservations , Italy - for arrival (after many hours of flying?)

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

I usually buy train tickets when I am actually in italy.
but, this time is different.
The children and I will be traveling for over 18 hrs.
when we finally land in Rome at FCO.
We then have to get Florence.

Should I reserve our tickets,and seats now and hope we are in time for the train we reserve on?
or should we purchase upon arrival at Termini?

I want to make this as "painless"as possible as I KNOW my kids
will be tired of traveling and cranky .

If I do have seats/tickets on lets say the 1pm train to florence, and we miss it, how easy is it to change / reuse the tickets?

anyone have advice or been it this situation before?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi Nan,

After long and careful consideration, which was greatly aided by advice from members of this board as to how much time I should leave between arrival at FCO and departure from Roma TE, I decided to purchase reserved seats for the Rome/Florence ES* before leaving.

I contacted five tcket agents. The least expensive was Euraide (www.euraid.de) telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. They charge the same price as you would pay at the station in Rome + $35.00 per order. You can purchase tickets up to 90 days in advance.

We will arrive FCO at 8:40 and depart Rome TE at 12:30.

Keep in mind that the shuttle from FCO to Rome TE takes 1/2 hr and there is about a 15 min walk to the train.

If you miss the train on which you have a reserved seat, they will put you on the next available train, but you will have to pay for the new reservation.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Bootman4U

I'd very much appreciate a clarification on the "ninety days in advance" part since my understanding has been that the vast majority of reservations can only be made SIXTY days in advance.
To answer the poster's original question about changing reservations. If this is a Eurostar reservation it certainly is NOT interchangaeable unless you go to the ticket window and try to exchange it..nor, for that matter, are ANY seat reservations for other types of services since they are only seat reservations and not tickets to ride in and of themselves. A ticket to ride on any other-than-Eurostar service can be used on all trains...no seat guaranteed. Since the Eurostar ticket INCLUDES an automatic seat reservation, it must be used on the designated train.

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 05:29 AM
ira

Dear Bootman,

I spoke to the folks at Euraide a few days ago. I was told that, depending on which train I wanted, I could make reservations as early as 90 days in advance through them.

I don't see how your advice re changing trains is different from mine. Clarify please?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:21 AM

nanb--If you choose to wait until you arrive in Italy, remember that you can purchase you tickets to Florence at the airport train station. You'll probably have a good a idea on what train you can actually make and arrive at Termini tickets in hand.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would post my own question here about Trains in Europe. I will be on a cruise in August and I know a few of the ports are a ways away from the main city requiring us to either pay for an expensive Shore Excursion or obtain some other form of transportation. From what I am gathering from people, taking a train to and from city from the port is usually cheaper than taking a taxi. Can tickets be bought right then when we arrive at the port or is this something we should make a reservation for in advance? If a reservation is needed, how would I go about making a reservation? Is there any place I can check to see train schedules for select cities/ports?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi Scottee,

For train info, go to http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

It will give you all of the train schedules in Europe.

You can purchase tickets in advance from Euraide, telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. They will charge the train station price plus $35.00 per order.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:10 AM

$35 per order seems a bit steep considering that we will not be taking extended travels via train. Just to take us from port to the city and back. Thanks for the link tho, I will be sure to check it out. My other question still remains tho, is it just as easy to buy a ticket at the station? If a reservation is not needed that may be our best bet... that way if the boat is late in docking, we are obligated to a specific time.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:27 AM
ira

Hi scottee,

What port? The reason I suggested prebooking is that if you arrive at, say, Livorno and want to go to Pisa along with 300 other people you might not be abe to get a ticket on the first train oout.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:36 AM

The ports we will be arriving at are as follows:

Villefranche(Nice), France
Livorno(Florence/Pisa)Italy
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Naples, Italy
Mykonos, Greece
Santorini, Greece
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Valletta, Malta

I know that some of these ports are a ways from the main city and that taxi fares may get to expensive. I am just looking for a way to get into town with my wife and I without having to spend a couple hundred dollars per port(The Shore Excursion to rome is like $80-100 and I believe, from what I read in their packet, that it is just transportation in and out of the city with a guide pointing things out along the way). We would rather go at our own pace which is why we would like to skip the excursions. I guess another question would be, of the ports listed above, how many of them will I really need transportation requiring a train?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
We did miss our Venice-Milan trainlast yr, and had to go through a fairly lenghty process to convince the man to issue us new tickets on the next train.

I am not sure I had to pay extra,
but it was a PROCEDURE !!!
and not one I wish to repeat with children.

So,thanks for clarifying- reconfirming .

ellenem- I did not know I could purchase the tickets at FCO.
Your info is good news for me.

I think I will probably just wait, and get them over there.
we can always sit and eat if we need to wait.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi Scottee,

Euraid will issue you all of the train tickets you want for one service charge of $35.00 if you order them all at once.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Hi-

Does this mean that for $35 they will send you point to point tickets in italy? Does this charge of 35 dollars include the mailing of the tickets and the ACTUAL seat reservations?

Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 01:57 PM

nanb, you can buy ticket at the FCO is true,but if you want to have a seat you must make the reservation in advance...In summer the trains are Full and finding an empty seat is almost impossible...without counting that you are going to be loaded with your suitcases also .
You can reuse the tickets but you will lose the seat reservation.
If you have the possibility to buy the tickets in the USA, go ahead.. it is worth the price..
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 02:36 PM
GAC

nanb:

1. I would not pay a supplement for advance seat reservations.
2. At the Fiumicino train station ticket windown, purchase both the ticket to Termini Station (departures devery 30 mins., 32 mins. travel time) as well as the onward ticket to Florence (preferably on Eurostar)
3. Eurostars leave Termini at 12:55, 13:30, 14:30, 14:38, 14:55, 15:30, 16:30, etc., and take 95 minutes to reach Florence.
4. Allow at least 25 minutes connection time at Termini, as the walk between trains (1000 yards) is long.
5. If perchance you miss your connection, you can exchange the Eurostar seat reservation free of charge as long as the train on which you are scheduled has not already departed from its point of origin (not necessarily Rome Termini). If the train has aleady depareted, you pay a new seat reservation fee of 3 Euros per ticket.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 02:40 PM
GAC

Remember to punch the ticket in the yellow machine by the rail track before boarding the train. This procedure applies to any train in Italy EXCEPT Eurostar trains (although there is no harm in punching Eurostar tickets as well).

For complete schedules and fares:
www. trenitalia.com

Departure: Roma Termini
Arrival: Firenze S. M. Novella