TRAIN RESERVATIONS FOR ITALY

Apr 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

TRAIN RESERVATIONS FOR ITALY

We are going to Italy in May. We will need to use the train from Naples to Florence, Florece to Venice and Venice to Rome.

How do I make train reservations before I arrive to Italy? Any websites???

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Apr 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM

You don't need to make them from the US. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting Napoli to Firenze by just walking into the train station in Napoli.

For Firenze to Venezia and Venezia to Roma, I suggest that if, when you arrive in Firenze you already know the time that you are leaving for Venezia, buy that ticket before you leave the train station. But if you don't know, I think buying a ticket the evening before your departure should be fine.

Eurostar is the way to go whenever possible. You get a reserved seat.

There are special deals to be had -- like all Saturday travel on Italian trains is low flat fare whether you are going 100 miles or 400 miles.

To learn about these things, check out the Slow Travel website, which has an entire detailed section on buying train tickets in Italy.

From the US, you can use the Trenitalia website to see schedules of train departures and arrivals.

Finally, when you go to the Napoli train station to buy your tickets, it is good if you have already separated out the credit card you intend to use or the amount of cash you will need to pay for the ticket before entering the station -- rather than produce your wallet from a bag or pocket and then put it away in full view of everybody.

That is not bad advice for any train station, but in the Naples train station, it's my standard policy.

Apr 5th, 2006, 02:21 AM
ira

Hi J,

See www.trenitalia.com.

You might want to fly www.alpieagles.com from Naples to Venice and then train to Florence and Rome.

Apr 5th, 2006, 02:45 AM
RJD

As long as you can plan in advance I advocate buying the tickets in from the Trenitalia site. It is a simple process and you end up with a ticket and seat reservation that allows you to walk onto the train and avoid the lines and inevitable confusion of buying the tickets at the train station. The conductors will accept what you printed out at home without a comment. It also avoids the problems with the extreme crowding on some of the lines you want to use. You could get shut out of some trains, or wind up without a seat.

Search this Thread