Paris Hotel Help Please - First Timer

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel Help Please - First Timer

Hi All -

I am a first timer going to Paris with my girlfriend. We are trying to decide between a hotel and currently I have two reservations. One at Le Walt (7th) and one at Warwick Hotel Champs Elysee (8th). Can anyone recommend which you woudl stay at - and if not the hotel itself, the general area. We have read that there have been some violent crimes at night around the Eiffel Tour and are a little concerned about the 7th. Please let me know!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:54 PM

My daughter and I stayed in the 7th this past March. We felt perfectly safe. And, in fact, we walked to the Eiffel Tower after dark our last night there. The only crime warning I saw before our trip was to be wary of pick pockets in the Metro.
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM

We have stayed in the 7th many, many times. I love the wide sidewalks and trees. The Walt is a great location---near busses and metro stops, cafes, many wonderful reasonable restaurants in the 7th; close to the Rodin Museum, Invalides, Eiffel Tower and the great roving market on Ave Saxe on Thurs and Sat mornings. I have seen a couple of the rooms but have never stayed there---lovely modern baths, nice toiletries, fine linens, very upscale decor. I'd stay there in a heartbeat.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:11 AM

I live in Paris and I haven't heard about violent crimes in the 7th. It's one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Paris and, overall, central Paris has a low risk of violent crime (in comparison with many American cities, for example).

Like the area around the Champs Elysees (your other choice), the area around the Tour Eiffel attracts its share of people who like to prey on distracted tourists, so you need to be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye on your belongings. But that shouldn't discourage you from staying in the very nice neighbourhood where the Walt is located.
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM

I'm sure they are both nice hotels, and it kind of depends what type of experience you want. I'd choose Le Walt. I'm sure there have been some violent crimes at night right around the Eiffel Tower, it wouldn't surprise me -- however, that hotel is not actually around the Eiffel Tower, it's just in the same arrondisement. It's around all those hotels people talk about near rue Cler and ave de la Motte Picquet. You seem to think that because of some crimes around a tourist site at night (and the metro right near there isn't that thrilling to me at night -- Bir Hakeim), that affects the entire arrondisement, which is huge. That doesn't make sense.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Le Walt is our current favorite; superb location with a taxi stand just around the corner, the metro a few steps away and many cafes and good restaurants ( Florimond, Leo le Lion)only a block away. Ask for a room on a high floor; some will give you a limited view of the Tour Eiffel.