train reservations

Jun 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

train reservations

I recently bought a britrail pass and will be traveling to England (primarily London) in July. During this time we're meeting a friend's teen in Preston (he's from England.) Is there a way to get seat reservations for not only my family but someone from Britain also? When I asked Britrail (a person in Canada was answering the phone) didn't think there was any way to do it. We're afraid that if we get seat reservations ahead of time and he can't, that we will lose track of him. Any suggestions?
Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM

The only way to get seats together is to book them together. Unless you're travelling at a very busy time, you should be able to book seats in the UK at a few days' notice. If your British friend wants to get a fare such as an APEX which has restricted availability, then he should book his ticket (which comes with a seat reservation) as soon as possible; once he has got his ticket, you should then book seats on the same train, but you won't necessarily be in the same carriage. There are more likely to be seats available at quieter times - midweek and in the middle of the day.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:31 AM

On most trains at most times, there will be available seats. Tickets on the top of the seat show which seats are booked, but often there are no-shows which means you can sit in those seats. I would not really be that worried, especially if you are travelling at non peak times (like during the week and between 9 30 am and 4 30 pm or after 7 30 pm).

Search this Thread