Brussels for Two Nights - Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After two nights of trappist and other Belgian beers, moules et frites, we will need a hotel with a large comfortable bed in a good location. What is the favourite hotel for
Fodorites visiting Brussels ? Thank you.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:35 AM
DDA

We enjoyed the Hotel Amigo. Quite central, and lovely--though it was a bit ago when we stayed there. Would recommend checking it out.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion DDA. Looks great and seems to be the best and choice of many business visitors. Unfortunately that seems to take the Amigo to the status of being the most expensive hotel in Brussels.

Given that a large bed is most important to us and that we will be into the beer and cafe scene, I think the service at the Amigo would be wasted on us.

Maybe there is another 4 to 5 star property that does not hit our 7 week budget quite as hard.

It seems that Brussels is a place to stay on weekends when prices fall
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:20 AM

If it is just a bed you need, there is the Max hotel. It's a design hotel that happens to also be one of the cheapest options in Brussels, because they made everything self service in order to keep staff to a minimum and avoid the high Belgian labour costs.
So even check in has been automated and if you need anything else such as extra towels for example, you can get it all from the vending machines. But its clean, comfortable and well located.

http://www.maxhotel.be/
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM

We spend two nights at the Marriott Brussels in downtown Brussels last summer (it is listed on the Marriott website as Grand Place). It was a little pricey for my budget but at the end of our trip TOTALLY worth every penny for an American style hotel with large, fluffy beds, huge American style bathroom and a McDonald's downstairs for breakfast. Don't get me wrong - loved our two weeks in Europe but a Marriott and a McDonalds on the last two days w/a teenager were wonderful.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Hotel Le Dixseptième, located 3 minutes from the Grand Square and the central train station. Large rooms, fair prices, unique decor, great location. Some rooms have a little kitchenette too.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Not sure if we could cope with McDonalds for breakfast Particularly after a night of Trappist beers.

The Ibis at Midi Station is looking like the budget option and, further up the train line we are focused on a comparison between Le Dixseptieme, Meridien and Novotel. Maybe others ? Thank you for your comments.

Generally we are now realising that Brussels is rather underated as a tourist destination.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM

If you are willing to look as far afield as Midi, you could also consider a hotel in one of the other areas not directly adjacent to the Grand' Place - there is also the Louise area (with a hotel such as NH Stefanie, which sometimes gets mentioned here), or the European District, where prices are discounted quite steeply at weekends and in August. It's a little barren (office blocks) but perfectly safe and can often be good value. Both areas are well-connected by metro to the Grand' Place area (metro: De Brouckère). Also check out the booking websites once you have picked a hotel or hotels you like. I use www.booking.com myself but there are many others.

Lavandula
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM

I highly recommend The Dominican Hotel, having stayed there twice in the last year, most recently last month. Perfect location just minutes from the Grand Place and yet quiet. Beautifully appointed hotel, great bar, lovely rooms and a terrific staff.

http://www.thedominican.be/?utm_sour..._campaign=Name