Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train Q: Can I change to an earlier departure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:57 AM
vic

Hi folks, <BR> <BR>I thought i had read that if i have a train reservation in Milan at 6pm, for example, but i want to take an earlier train and there is space, this is not a problem. Can someone confirm this for me? Does this apply to domestic and international travel? Does a reservation only guarantee me a ticket or a seat as well? Thanks--I'm trying to set up a reasonable schedule for a connection from Malpensa to Florence and want to leave plenty of time. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:49 AM
Tony

A ticket gives you a ride from A to B, on most trains in Europe, except those where a reservation is compulsory. A reservation is usually for a seat, and is often a seperate coupon to your ticket - but not always. <BR>Between Milan and Florence about half the trains require a compulsory reservation - those train numbers beginning with ES. Train numbers beginning with EC or IC do not require a reservation, but they are optional. <BR>A seat reservation carries a surcharge on the ticket price, usually about $5 depending on where you buy them. <BR>Answering your first question, if you have a reservation for the 6 p.m. train, and you wish to reserve on an earlier one, you will probably have to pay the $5 fee again; otherwise no problem, apart from the possible queue to make the second reservation. <BR>Between Milan and Florence there is at least one train per hour, and they are rarely full,particularly in first class, except, maybe, Friday nights.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 02:28 AM
vic

Hi Tony, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the detailed response! We will be travelling on a Wednesday, so I'll probably just buy the ticket in Milan. So, just to be clear, if i just buy the ticket and there are empty seats, we are free to sit in them right? So long as a reservation is not compulsory, that is. <BR> <BR>Many thanks.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 10:03 PM

ttt

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Tony

Vic.. <BR> <BR>As I said earlier you have to pay for a seat reservartion regardless on the ES trains = it is cheaper to do this at the station rather than on the train where you are surcharged. An extra revenue thing in my opinion as the trains are often quite empty. <BR>On all other trains you can sit in empty seats, providing they have not been reserved. There is some form of ticket above the seat, or outside the compartment to show which seats are reserved, and where they are reserved from and to. In the case of no shows you are free to acquire their reservation. <BR>I agree with you - buy the ticket at Milan, just be patient if there is a queue, It's a good idea to write down what you want, i.e., which train, where to, single or return, smoking or non smoking, window seat, first class or second etc. This solves the language problem usually as the booking clerks work it out O.K. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:36 AM
tt----tt

Vic: <BR> <BR>You have a ticket for the 6pm EuroStar (ES train) ? Per the website for Italy's trains (www.fs-on-line.com) there is an ES leaving at 4 pm, another at 5 pm and then of course, yours at 6p --- are some IC (InterCity) runs interspersed in latter part of afternoon, but for maximum comfort it's best to travel on the EuroStar. <BR> <BR>You shouldn't have any difficulty in getting a seat reservation once you arrive in Milan. When you do, you'll see the class (1st or 2nd), the number of the car & seat number on the ticket. You can walk from one car to the next --- but as the ES trains tend to be long (usually 11 to 13 cars), it's best to try to board ON to your assigned car (both class & individual car no. are on exterior of each car). ALSO, there are designated smoking & non-smoking (non-fumato) cars. So when obtaining your seat reservation, ask for your preference. <BR> <BR>FYI---as many Italians are smokers, you may find that this gets ignored. However I usually pleasant point this out & the smoker will walk down to another car for his cigarette. And this is also another reason why I prefer traveling on 1st class (primero) when possible so as to lessen likelihood of ending up in smokey environment (asthma makes me very finicky on this issue) --- most Italians travel second class (segundo) on trains. <BR> <BR>Lastly, REMEMBER to time/date stamp your ticket prior to boarding your train. You'll see these small orange or yellow machines at which you validate your ticket.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:47 PM
vic

Dear Tony and tt: <BR> <BR>Thanks again for all your help and especially the tips. I am now all clear. <BR> <BR>Vic

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Sandy

Just a quick question, <BR> <BR>When you write down the info on which train & to where, etc., how do you explain which direction you want to sit. It is my understanding that seats face each other, and I would want to face the direction the train is going (not ride backwards). <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:46 PM
ttt

ttt <BR>