Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train or rental car from Naples to Sorrento and Pompeii

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four will be flying from Venice to Naples, staying three nights in Sorrento and then returning for a final night in Rome to fly home. We want to spend a day touring the Amalfi Coast, a day visiting Capri, some time in Sorrento and a day (probably on the return trip) seeing Pompeii. I don't think we will spend time in Naples. I have read here many sad stories about pick pockets on the Circumvesuvian train and am wondering if it would be better to rent a car at the Naples airport just to get to Sorrento, leave at hotel which has free parking, take bus to Amalfi, ferry to Capri, but then use the car on the way to Rome via Pompeii. If we don't rent a car, we will have all our luggage with us on the train from Sorrento to Pompeii before we take another train to Naples and a final train to Rome. How hard is this drive? Is the car or the train the better plan? Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM

We are quite seasoned drivers and were very glad not to be driving on the Amalfi Coast. I would go for the train. As for the Circumvesuvian train, we rode it a few times during our trip and never ever felt unsafe.

On another note, I think you are packing a lot in 3 days. Sorrento, Amalfi, Capri and Pompei in 3 days? Phew! Pompei is at least half a day. For the record, we really enjoyed Herculaneum, which is a lot smaller and easier to visit. And Capri was underwelming, and we were there 3 days, after the millions (well maybe it just felt that way) of daytrippers were gone... Just too posh and overcrowded for us.

Also note that the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi can be very crowded AND very slow, depending on when you are going. Just keep that in mind when planning...
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How old are the kids? Old enough to be responsible for their own luggage? Is this trip in high-season summer?

I think rather than pay for a car that sits in a parking lot for three days, I'd hire a driver to meet your flight and take you to Sorrento.

If you rented the car, where would you return it? Would you spend the last night near the Rome airport (return the car there) or brave it into the city (not my idea of fun unless you're familiar with Rome).

Re Amalfi, look into taking the ferry one way and the bus the other way. The bus drives right through the towns for a close-up look, but IMO it's not as pleasant as riding the ferry.

Some people have experienced problems on the Circumvesuviana, but I think the vast majority of people have absolutely no trouble at all. Getting on in Sorrento (one end of the line) works to your advantage because you can position yourselves together with the luggage surrounded. At Pompeii, you can store your luggage at the entrance. When you get back on the train to go to Naples, just be alert and aware and stick together. Obviously, if your kids are too small to deal with their luggage, it's harder for the adults to handle everything. This is your call. You know your family. But don't be afraid to ride the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and on to Naples.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Agree that there are 2 key points:

How old are the kids - will they have a lot of ""stuff"?
What time of year are you going?

We have stayed in Sorrento twice - with a car and used it to drive to Pomepii and also to drive up and down the coast road - which we fond to be a lot of fun. BUT - that was in May, when the area is not packed elbow to elbow.. If you are going in July or August I would not rent a car - but not use the bus either (takes forever). I would check to see how often the ferries run down the coast - both for much better views and also to save time and angst with the bus (often completely full sitting and standing).
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never had any problems on the Circumvesuviana train traveling with luggage. Just keep an eye on your belongings as you would on any public transport.

If you don't want to train to Sorrento, take the shuttle bus (10€)from the airport which would actually be less trouble.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/inglese/E_index.html
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 05:44 AM

True! Shuttle bus is very convenient!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM

You might even want to be a little more ambitious?

Fly down, take that Curreri bus from the airport, but only as far as Pompei - and lodge your stuff at the site's LLO while you visit.... before continuing on to Sorrento by taxi, or train.

But, for reasons you'll find explained here, don't plan on doing quite that on the journey back...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop..._Campania.html

Hadn't occurred to me to look until now, but Curreri don't actually say you couldn't simply jump back on a later bus at Pompei, and complete the ride to Sorrento... although that's perhaps risky, as their buses may well only make a stop there if someone's alighting!

Peter
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be needing to get from Sorrento to the Naples airport on a Monday morning also, end of May. I wonder how variable the timing is for the 8:30 am bus ride, as I don't want to be late for check in. I was thinking that the expense of a hired ride vs 2 bus fares may be worth the loss of anxiety, not to mention direct pickup at the hotel. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM

Although their route avoids the centre of Naples, delays can happen anywhere...

But now you've had that thought, I imagine you'll forever kick yourself if anything goes awry for the sake of a relatively small saving?

Perhaps overly cautious of us but, in going to the UK (as we've done from Ischia via Naples at least once a year since 2001), we aim to be at the airport a little before check-in opens...

Peter
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, Peter, for confirming my mild paranoia!

By the way, I have been lurking on Naples/Sorrento/Capri threads and appreciate your inputs.

AJ