Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train or Plane, Rome to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-or-plane-rome-to-venice-664911/)

TammyDe Dec 18th, 2006 04:26 AM

Train or Plane, Rome to Venice

My family, eight of us, have two nights in Venice at the end of our trip to Italy in June. I think we should fly so we'll have more time in Venice but at least one of us thinks taking a train might be scenic. We will have already spent seven days driving around Tuscany so I think scenic views in the country at this point are not a priority.

Please give me your opinions about the pros and cons of train versus plane for this route.

ira Dec 18th, 2006 04:53 AM

Hi T,

>I think we should fly so we'll have more time in Venice ...<

It takes 4:30 hr to get from Rome TE to Venice San Lucia by train.

It takes 0:30 hr to get from Rome TE to FCO by train. Add 0:30 hr to get to check in.

You have to be at check in at least 1 hr before your flight leaves.

You have a 1-hr flight.

It will take about 1 hr to get from VCE to Venice.

How much time have you saved?

((I))

Dolf Dec 18th, 2006 05:07 AM

It would not make sense to fly from Rome to Venice. In Rome, you have to get to the airport early coming all the way down the traffic-laden Via Ostiense all the time worrying about being late. For the train, you show up a few minutes ahead of time (with reserved seats, first class is better). Arriving by air in Venice, you have to get from the airport to hotel, maybe getting ripped off for the fare. With the train, they drop you at the top of the grand canal, you purchase regular water bus tickets and take a scenic ride to your hotel. Train is so much simpler and maybe even shorter when you take everything into consideration. You might be sorry that you only have two days in Venice if this is going to be the only time that you visit.
Good luck,
Dolf

ben_haines Dec 18th, 2006 05:25 AM

More, if you sleep well on trains you can save time and a hotel bill by taking sleepers thus on the Marco Polo Express. To have a full night you should sleep right through Venice, then change trains and come southwards into Venice. Detail is this. Rome Tiburtina 2250, Sacile 0709 to 0715, Venice Santa Lucia 0817. The fare, with a berth in a 3 berth sleeper, is about 90 euros.

Ben Haines London
[email protected]

TammyDe Dec 18th, 2006 04:41 PM

Thank you all for your help.

Dukey Dec 18th, 2006 04:50 PM

Not to mention the possible checked luggage restrictions on any flight you might take.

nessundorma Dec 18th, 2006 05:57 PM

There are very few "scenic" train routes in Italy. The train tracks were built along industrial routes.

altamiro Dec 18th, 2006 10:56 PM

>at least one of us thinks taking a train might be scenic.

Many people in Europe prefer to use trains not because they are "scenic" but because a train is more convenient on a short distance than flying. Not to mention - often faster.
While flying, you will NEVER manage to get from city to city in less than 4 hours, sometimes more. If the train ride is comparable or shorter, there is absolutely no sense in taking the plane except if you connect to another flight in the airport.

TammyDe Dec 19th, 2006 05:11 AM

I didn't think this one through. Thanks for setting me straight...I knew I could count on you!