Train or plane London to Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best option for 2 adults and 2 children travelling London to Amsterdam in October?
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:43 AM

The fastest would be to fly from lOndon city airport but that probably wouldn't be the cheapest. How do you define best?

Another option is to take an overnight ferry...we did this a couple of years ago and will be doing it again...will post our trip report
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-adventure.cfm

I got most of my info from www.seat61.com
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:08 AM

Going by train will take longer, when you account for check in and transfer times for the plane perhaps not that much (I haven't flown it, so perhaps someone else could advise) but it might be smoother. Getting to Amsterdam takes about 4hrs 45mins door to door. From St Pancras, it's a Eurostar to Brussels and there it's a straightforward platform change to a Thalys train. The combined price for 2 adults and 2 children is around £300.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:20 AM

Even accounting for check-in time, it will be much slower by train. You also need to check-in and go through customs at St Pancras. Eurostar and Thalys combined, will probably be more expensive than flying.

Easiest is flying from London City to Amsterdam - London City is an easy airport to get through, no long walks, it's a small airport.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:07 AM

Flying will take 3-4 hours, involving trains from London to Luton or Stansted airports, lengthy check-ins, the actual flight, then another train from Schiphol to Amsterdam.

High-speed train, meaning Eurostar from central London to Brussels then Thalys to Amsterdam Centraal - is less stressful and more relaxing, taking perhaps 4.5 hours with just a 30-minute painless check-in, and is more of an experience and up to 10 times better for the environment, too.

London-Amsterdam fares start at £64 one-way or £99 return, no fees, no extra to pay to reach airports, book at www.eurostar.com or try www.b-europe.com.

Remember that if you fly, you'll have to pay £14 just for the train to reach Stansted or Luton, then it's another £5 or so for the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam. And there may be baggage fees, check-in fees, card fees, you name it, with those budget airlines...

Also consider the overnight Dutch Flyer train & ferry combo, www.dutchflyer.co.uk - I use it regularly, as my wife and in-laws are Dutch.

You leave London Liverpool Street station in central London at 19:32 by train, board the luxury Stena Line superferry at Harwich around 9pm, sleep in your own private cabin with shower, toilet, deluxe Dux mattresses, satellite TV & free WiFi, perhaps having a late dinner in the ship's restaurant, she docks at Hoek van Holland at 07:45, you walk off the ferry onto the train to Rotterdam, change onto an InterCity train and you're at Amsterdam Centraal at 09:48.

The fares starts at £45 per person, that covers train, ferry and Dutch train all on one ticket for one price, plus the cost of a cabin, £30 for a single cabin, from £43 (per cabin) for a 2-bed cabin, deluxe Comfort Class and Captain's Class cabins with complimentary minibar and double bed also available.

This is in fact a very time-effective way to go, great fun, and it saves an expensive hotel in London or Amsterdam.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:27 AM

30-minute painless check-in? With 30 minutes, you will barely make your train at St Pancras. I traveled Eurostar to Brussels a few times the past months, and every time there was a long queue. 30 minutes is the absolute minimum, I didn't even have time to buy a paper after check-in.

I travel often between Antwerp and London - and flying is much faster, easier and nearly always cheaper than train.

I still like the Eurostar; once you are on it, it is very relaxing and a great way to travel. And if you have not done it, and are with your kids, you will probably enjoy it more than flying.
But I wish it would go on to Antwerp. Carrying my luggage up and down stairs and taking a train to Antwerp from Brussels, is not fun. And I would never change trains at Brussels Midi late at night.

Cityjet fares London City/Amsterdam are from 102 pounds return.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Try www.skyscanner.net for flights. Up to you how much inconvenience you're prepared to accept for a cheap flight.

For the ferry - what are you like when it comes to sleeping on a moving vehicle of any sort? I tried the night ferry, which would have been fine if I hadn't found the engine noise and even the slightest movement prevented a real sleep - plus you're up and about to get on the train very early in the morning (and they're ordinary commuter trains too, and can be quite crowded in the morning rush into the Hague and Amsterdam).

For the trains, you don't have to use Thalys between Brussels and Amsterdam, but the cheaper alternative is - not surprisingly - slower.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:06 AM

And the cheaper alternative will require a change of trains.

With Thalys you will have to book a specific train, so leave enough time to change in Brussels - as you don't want to miss your connection.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:07 PM

And the cheaper alternative runs very infrequently now (FYRA) and only reaches The Hague, where you'll need to change trains again.

As to the ferry: there is no direct train from Hoek van Holland into Amsterdam: you'll have to change trains at Rotterdam CS. But you can take high speed Fyra there for a small surcharge and be in Amsterdam within an hour from Hoek van Holland. Provided you have loads of euro coins or a Dutch debit card.

Ah, the joys of the Dutch train system.

Anyway: my best travel option would still be the Harwich - Hoek overnight ferry.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 02:30 AM

Odd comment about sleeping on the ferry - the 63,000 ton Stena Hollandica & Stena Britannica are massive and rock-steady, the cabins are way, way above the engines. The cabins and beds are better than many hotels!

Stena Line's top-quality Dux mattresses are brilliant - we actually ended up seeing if we could buy a Dux bed for our home, but they start at £8000 a pop! So sleeping is easy, just like in a hotel. I'm often asleep anyway by the time she actually sails, at 23:15.

We'll all be on the Britannica again this Saturday night. With a Dutch wife, I'm practically a commuter!