Train or plane? France/Italy/Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just booked a ticket to Paris in the spring -- will have 13 nights in Europe. Wanted to fly to Munich or Milan, but with frequent flyer points, I was lucky to get Paris from Los Angeles at this point.

Am wondering the most feasible way of getting around. My desire is to spend time around the Italian Lakes (never been there) with just several days in Paris (been there numerous times). All the train passes I am finding seem to work best if one has lots of time, which I don't. Also, the passes charge extra for the faster trains, which I definitely would want -- the flights will be long enough.

Any thoughts on how best to get around -- fly or train? I realize trains will deposit me in the center of town and flying will involve more transportation effort. Will be traveling alone and don't want to drive by myself.

I'm sure some of you have ventured along this same path -- no point in reinventing the wheel, so to speak. What worked for you?

Also, with four nights in Paris (two on each end) will nine nights in the Lakes be too much? Is there somewhere else close by that you would recommend for a couple of nights? Already been to Venice and French/Italian Riviera.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Last September (2004), we flew to Paris and stayed 3 nights, then took high-speed train to Geneva, where we began using our 4-day Swiss Passes. We transferred to a "regular" train to Interlaken, then to lauterbrunnen. We stayed 3 nights there, with side trips to Lucerne and throughout the Berner oberland, then trained to Varenna on lake Como (via Milan). We only had to pay a small supplement for the Italian portion of the trip.

After 3 nights in Varenna, we trained back to Milan (1 hour) and flew back to Paris via JetBlue ($46 for 2,1 hour) for our last night before the flight home.

It was probably one of the best trips we've ever taken, primarily because we were so relaxed with the train travel and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery so much! Traveling through Switzerland by train was pure heaven - we enjoyed every single mile.
Each destination was terrific with its own merits, and we felt like we had something to look forward to right up to the last night of our trip. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Hagan, Milan to Paris via JetBlue? Not trying to be picky but don't want uvtotravel to be confused.
I do wish JetBlue flew in Europe! Think you miswrote the airline's name.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:29 AM
ira

Hi luv,

Before you consider railpasses, go to www.railsaver.com and see if you will need one.

Remember to click on "only if it will save me money".
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris to Venice by overnight train was a thought, something I've done and loved. Don't know the Italian lakes. Do love the area outside Geneva along Lac Leman (Morges, Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux). And have visited the ara by train solo several times. It was lovely. I've only used single tickets never a pass.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Perhaps a combination would work best. Fly from Paris to a Swiss destination (very quick and inexpensive), then use trains to move through Switzerland and on to the Lakes. Rent a bicycle for the lakes region, then fly back to Paris.

I prefer my training during the day, as I enjoy the scenery. At to tickets, a lot of people have spent a lot of time evaluating the various passes vs. point to point tickets, and there is no single best answer. I have resolved that for my next visit to Switzerland, I am going to try the half-fare card, but we tend to take the train and busses and boats fairly frequently. If we were going to remain in one location for a few days without needing transport, I think point to point tickets would probably be a better answer.

Enjoy your trip. Let us know how you handle the transport.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

A lot of food for thought. Thanks for the website to railsaver.com and for the idea of flying to Switzerland -- that might just be what will work.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM

The one MAJOR comment that I have is do not, I repeat do not drive in Milan! It is utter insanity....my dh is a world traveler and he was so frustrated. The roads are not clearly marked and nobody, including the local police, could (or would) help! We were lost once for one and a half hours and once for 2 hours. Perhaps it was just us but I somehow don't think so! Hope this helps...
As far as the Italian lakes...I can strongly recommend Hotel Florence in Bellagio. Room number 3 is awesome if you can afford a suite. It has a lake view and a shared terrace. Great breakfast included each morning. VERY large and spacious with equally large and modern bathrooms. Lake Maggiore is also gorgeous though we did not stay there. It rained the whole time we were there last week but that is to be expected at this time of year. It was beautiful anyway and I highly recommend it!
Happy travel!
Peggy (aka BobsPrincess)
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Peggy. I usually like to travel by car, but I will be alone and wouldn't think of trying to drive and navigate by myself, especially in Italy! I'll check out the hotel you suggest.