Reload this Page >

Train or drive..Paris to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 09:08 AM
Patty

Would like imput on best way to get from Paris to Venice and back without paying overwhelming airfare. We will have one week. Id like to spend a few days in Venice and a short time on the Ital Riv,then make it back to Paris. Any suggestions? Patty

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 10:26 AM
Chad

Patty, <BR> <BR>I'll let someone else advise you on the merits of driving, as I have only done this trip by train. You can either take an overnight train (approx. 11 hours) or take the TGV from Paris to Milan (6 hours, morning to early afternoon) and switch trains in Milan for the 2-3 hour ride to Venice. I prefer the second option because I just don't like the night trains and I enjoy the scenery by taking the trip during the day. The Paris to Milan trip is absolutely beautiful and the TGV is very comfortable. Perhaps you could take an overnight train on the way back... That way, you wouldn't have to blow the good p

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 10:26 AM
Chad

Patty, <BR> <BR>I'll let someone else advise you on the merits of driving, as I have only done this trip by train. You can either take an overnight train (approx. 11 hours) or take the TGV from Paris to Milan (6 hours, morning to early afternoon) and switch trains in Milan for the 2-3 hour ride to Venice. I prefer the second option because I just don't like the night trains and I enjoy the scenery by taking the trip during the day. The Paris to Milan trip is absolutely beautiful and the TGV is very comfortable. Perhaps you could take an overnight train on the way back... That way, you wouldn't have to blow the good part of two days on the trains. <BR> <BR>Chad <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:23 PM
Carol Lehrman

Hi Patty: <BR> <BR>Having just returned from Europe where we took the overnight train from Paris to Venice - I'd highly recommend it. <BR> <BR>I had done this 21 years ago - six people in a couchette compartment. However this time . . . <BR> <BR>We (my husband and myself) had a first-class compartment, champagne and nuts upon departure (served by the train personnel), and after dinner, we came back to the compartment and our beds were turned down with two small toiletry kits waiting for us! (The toiletry kits just added to the charm of the whole experience). Also, breakfast was included. <BR> <BR>The compartment was small, but the entire train journey was one of the highlights of our trip as it was romantic, fun (we ended up closing down the dining car with some friends we met) and the train personnel were very accommodating. <BR> <BR>We already had a europass, and I believe the cost of the overnight compartment was around $160 for the two of us - not cheap considering you're also paying for the train, but well, well worth it. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 11:22 AM
lisa

Patty: Definitely take the train, and I would do the daytime trip rather than the overnight if you can. Driving is a hassle; the train is much more relaxing and you get to enjoy the gorgeous scenery! I have done this trip twice, once on an overnight train (it was a 6-person couchette if I remember correctly, although there were only 4 in our compartment -- my friend and I, and two Italian women) and once during the daytime. If you make the trip in the dark you will miss the beauty out the window, and it's hard to sleep on the train anyway.

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 07:46 PM
Seamus

Patty, I'll go along with the emerging consensus that you go by train. I've done the overnight "hotel train" with sleeper compartment and while it was not the cheapest way to go, it was not the most expensive and was indeed a fun and memorable trip. I've also done the TGV day schedule, and agree that if seeing the countryside is important to you, this is a great option. Enjoy!

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 01:33 PM
mwg

You have too little time to contemplate driving and what would be the point. You drive if you want to stop along the way to see things, especially special places where the train may not stop. You don't have the time for that. Take the overnight train and maximize your sightseeing time, which is limited.