Search

Train or Coach from Dublin to Cork?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train or Coach from Dublin to Cork?

Hello,

Can you help? I am trying to decide if it would be better to take a coach or a train from Dublin Airport to Cork. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenage children), and will be arriving from the US at 5:20am on a Saturday morning in November. In my research, I have discovered that the coach is more direct, because it leaves from the airport. However, since we will be doing a lot of driving in the days following our arrival, I thought it might be nice to take the train to minimize our time spent on the road. I realize this would mean taking either a bus or taxi from Dublin airport to the train station. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 07:30 AM

Do I presume you are looking at Bus Eireann express bus x8 from the airport to Cork?

I would not choose one or the other based on the criteria you mentioned -- too much road. You are only talking about less than 3 hrs travel out of many hours total road trip you will be making during the time you will be probably dozing off after the flight anyway and cannot tell if you on a train or a bus.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Hi,

I regularly traveled from Dublin airport when i lived in Kerry.First option is the bus which i would take the aircoach outside both terminal 1 or 2.It saves you going to train station as advantages.
Second option is by train,you get bus outside terminal which takes you to Heuston station,journey can take 50 mins or so depending on traffic.There is a train to Cork every hour.Its a good way to relax and watch scenery as bus is on motorway whole way to cork.Price wise for train book seats online with irish rail in advance for best fares and collect tickets at train station on arrival.Also best online for bus to cork with aircoach in advance as well for fares.
Please contact me if need any more info advice as happy to help.

Thanks

Tom
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 10:24 AM

Very nice train ride, on new rolling stock. Reserve your seat in advance and you will find your name up in lights above the seat you chose. Certainly more restful than the roads.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information. I really appreciate it! The information is very helpful. Have a great day!