Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train or Car Rental from Nice to Santa Margherita, Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Another question: After we finish our time in Nice in the middle of July, we will be continuing on to Santa Margherita, Italy. Would we be better off to rent a car and drive or to try to take a train/bus combination? It looks like the public transportation would take longer, but it sounds like the traffic is terrible at that time of year, so maybe it would be just as long and more stressful if we rented a car.

On the other hand, we could do some of the stops East of Nice on our way out of Nice rather than having to do them from Nice as day trips and then return to Nice.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Car rental agencies charge fees to take a rental car into another country, so that is something to consider. Taking a train is relatively simple and certainly more relaxing than dealing with traffic along the Mediterranean coast.

I personally prefer Santa margherita to Nice and would opt to spend that night there. It is far less crowded and has a splendid coastline.

Carol
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 08:59 AM

You can take trains the whole way, no need for bus. I did it and had to change in Ventimiglia (just over the border from France) and again in Genoa. It was July when I did it. Trains were crowded and ticket lines long. But driving could be worse as traffic is pretty bad. Also, where would you return the car? If rented in France and returned in Italy there will be drop fees which can be substantial. No need for a car in the Santa Margherita region. Where are you going after that ?
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

After that, we are going back to Genoa and flying from Genoa to Munich. If we won't need a car in Santa Margherita either, it sounds like a train might be a more relaxing and cheaper way to go. We tend to like to rent cars (at least in the US) because it gives us more freedom, but the train system in Europe is so much better, and we have heard that driving in this area at this time of year in crazy. When I looked quickly, it looked like there might be buses involved. I did not know if we would be up for changing between buses and trains and then buses again.

Thank you.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:27 AM

There are tons of trains, but no direct one's. Change either at Ventimiglia or at Genoa PP or at both places.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 07:35 AM

As noted above, the one way drop off fees can be huge. The train with transfers is a better choice, especially if you are just sticking to the coastal towns. Although, however, the tolls on the Autoroute in France keep the traffic better than the coastal routes, even in July.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 07:46 AM

can you rent a car in Ventimiglia, Italian border town - driving along the coast can be neat. Otherwise take the train. For lots on trains check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Before you drive in Italy take some time to learn about ZTL (sp?) zones in cities where private vehicles are banned and get an International Drivers License as it is required in Italy and France along with your U.S. license.