Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

train or car? milan-cinque terre-florence? 12 day intinerary help please?

Sep 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

I am planning 12 days in italy with 2- 16 yr olds. Our thoughts at the moment are fly into Milan, 2 nights Cinque Terre, 2 nights Florene, 2 nights Siena, 2 nights Umbria (suggestions welcome), 1 night Orvieto, 2 nights Rome. Should we rent a car, where and when? I would like 3-4 star hotels and maybe a mix of country mixed in. The kids are art interested but not into museums 24-7. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sep 26th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Well, Rodeo I think you're a little ambitious with your itinerary, especially when in the company of two teenagers! Too many changes for 12 days, two days translates to 1 1/2 days in one spot, by the time you get there. Are you the only adult? This might influence some of my suggestions, as would the time of year you plan to travel. So, here goes.
Milan-Cinque Terre (Monterosso - Villa Steno) by train, two nights, hire car in La Spezia (CT) and drive to Siena (in the countryside) for four nights (do day trips from there) , drop off car in Florence, two nights, train to Rome, 2 nights. Forget Orvieto and add extra night to CT or perhaps Rome. Whatever, your plans have a great time, please post a trip report as we are taking 4 teenagers to Italy in 2009 and would love to hear of your adventures.
Sep 26th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Too many hotels !
Fly into Pisa--get car and do this:
CT---2 nites
Tuscany/Umbria--4 nites one location
Florence---drop car at airport--2 nites
Train to Rome---4--fly home.
Sep 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We are planning to go on spring break, 2nd week in April. I will probably have one other adult with me. If this changes your suggestions please let me know. Again, thanks
Sep 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
ira

Hi R,

>fly into Milan, 2 nights Cinque Terre, 2 nights Florene, 2 nights Siena, 2 nights Umbria (suggestions welcome), 1 night Orvieto, 2 nights Rome.<

Much too much moving around; for example, Florence is 1:30 hr from Siena, and Orvieto is 1 hr from Rome. Why are you changing hotels?

Every time you change venues you lose 1/2 day.

FYI, Orvieto is in Umbria.

Sep 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

To Ira,

I did know that Orvieto was in Umbria, that was the one place that I was pretty sure I wanted to stop at. I was looking for other suggestions. I appreciate everyone suggestions, but I know I am new the forum, but I really do not appreciate some of the what I consider rude responses. I have traveled to Europe several times and feel I would like to contribute my experiences but I really do not feel very welcome, maybe just being sensitive, NOT
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM

rodeo,

Will you be traveling before/during Easter week? If so, my main suggestion is to make your reservations right away, especially for Florence and Rome. Both are extremely busy those weeks, speaking from personal experience.

If you teens enjoy hiking, I would spend 3 days in the Cinque Terre area. The first day will be spent getting there and somewhat jet lagged. If they don't like to hike, 2 nights will be enough.

Teens (from others' reports) seem to really enjoy the cities more than countryside, even if you don't spend a lot of time in museums.

I would also recommend combining your Tuscany time into one location and doing the other towns/cities via day trip. Either stay in Siena and do Florence by bus or the reverse.

I love Orvieto, but a stop enroute to Rome might be enough. I would try to add at least a another night to Rome. So much there, I think you will all enjoy it very much.

Santa Margherita Ligure - Hotel Laurin 3*

Orvieto - Palazzo Piccolomini - 4*

I was very pleased with both of these properties. Based on your requirements, the hotels I stayed in in Rome and Florence would not fit.

Buon viaggio!
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle,

I am pretty sure it is after Easter that we are going. I will look into your suggestions and I do think adding a day in Rome would be a good idea. Thanks again