Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train/metro pass for 2-3 days in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-metro-pass-for-2-3-days-in-paris-637855/)

JC98 Aug 9th, 2006 09:01 AM

Train/metro pass for 2-3 days in Paris?

Is there a 2 or 3 days train/metro pass for Paris? We'll be there from Thurs morning to Sat morning. Need to go from airport to Paris central (also around Paris for 2 days) and back to airport.

Thanks.

pavfec Aug 9th, 2006 09:08 AM

Looks like it. It's the Paris Visite pass. Here's a description (http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglai...s_visite.php):

<b>Paris Visite is a pass to discover Paris and its region.

The user's name must be written on the pass (no photo necessary). Each coupon is valid for either a 1, 2, 3 or 5 day period (calendar days and not a 24 hour period) of your choice: 1-3, 1-5, 1-8 zones. </b>

There's more info on the website about fares and where it can be bought.

Christina Aug 9th, 2006 10:17 AM

The only one is that tourist pass, but it is too expensive in your case. They have the weekly metro pass and then daily ones, that's all, but that should be sufficient. In your case, I'd just buy two regular Mobilis daily passes for zones 1-2 (center) for using Thurs-Fri, and pay extra for the two airport runs (which cannot be done on Mobilis even if you bought the five zone one, but it's cheaper not to, anyway).

It's generally not cost-effective to buy five zone passes for many days if you only need it for the airport.

ira Aug 9th, 2006 10:37 AM

Hi JC,

We have never used more than a carnet of 10 tickets/week pp in Paris. Costs 11E.

((I))

janisj Aug 9th, 2006 10:47 AM

I walk so much in Paris - I'm like ira - use about 1 carnet give or take in a week.

So I'd just buy a carnet and share it between the two of you and but RER tix or use a shuttle to/from CDG

TimS Aug 9th, 2006 10:48 AM

Here is a price breakdown.

A single ticket on the RER B from CDG to central Paris costs E8.10. So long as you don't exit the system, it's also good for transfers on the Metro or other RER lines to get you to your hotel.

A one-day Paris Visite pass for zones 1-3 costs E8.35 and a two-day pass costs E13.70. Neither one is a good deal for the days you'll be in Paris.

A one-day Mobilis pass for zones 1-2 costs E5.50. If you plan to take a lot of rides on Thursday and/or Friday, you could buy one for either day or for both days.

A carnet of ten tickets (zones 1-2) costs E10.90. A single ticket costs E1.40. A single ticket offers unlimited transfers on the Metro and RER within zones 1-2, so long as you don't exit the system. However, each bus change requires a new ticket.

Exploring Paris on foot is great. The central city is compact and quite walkable. Unless you know you're going to be taking lots of rides each day, buying carnets as needed and sharing the tickets may be your best choice.

Dejais Aug 9th, 2006 01:01 PM

What about the Carte Orange? I had planned on using this for my trip in September. The cost is 15.70 Euros, I believe, and good for Monday through Friday. You must have a 1-inch photo for the card though.

Hey experts....if I got any of that wrong, PLEASE correct me. Thank you.

TimS Aug 9th, 2006 01:22 PM

Dejais, the Carte Orange will not work for the OP because it is only sold through Wednesday for the current week and the OP will arrive in Paris on a Thursday.

On the other hand the Carte Orange will work just fine for you. The current price is E16.00 for a zone 1-2 pass. Yes, you need a 1&quot;x1&quot; photo. The pass is good for a full week, Monday-Sunday.

alan64 Aug 9th, 2006 02:07 PM

Another vote for the 10 ticket carnet and pay for the airport trip separately.

Dejais Aug 9th, 2006 02:10 PM

TimS...Thank you so much for your clarification. It is much appreciated. In my haste, I had forgotten that the OP was going to be there Thurs-Sat.