Reload this Page >

train journey in Italy

Search

train journey in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:09 PM
alan mattock

train journey in Italy

Has anyone travelled from Florence to Venice by train ( 1st class )tips appreciated.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:21 PM
elaine

Hi Alan <BR>I've traveled Venice to Florence first class. <BR>I had never taken a train in Italy before so I didn't quite understand the train system. If you have a reserved seat your reservation will be for a particular seat in a particular car on your train. When you board the train at the quay (binario), be sure you're getting into the correct car of the train or else you, as I did, will have to drag your luggage through narrow train cars looking for the correct place. When waiting on the platform to board your train, look for the display boards that may have diagrams of the layout of the train. They will show you the direction the train is going and approximately where the 1st & 2nd class cars will stop at the train station. If I had allowed enough time at the train station I would have joined the moderately-long line at the tourist/train information office where they do speak English ( I heard it) and where I would have asked for more info about boarding the train. The other piece of advice is about the luggage, keep it light and manageable. I am not infirm, but I really wore myself out transporting it to the station, through the station, onto the train, through the train, onto the luggage rack, off the luggage rack, and off the train. All of that complaining aside, the trip itself was very pleasant. During the trip a concessionaire came through offering beverages and snacks. <BR>When you have your train ticket in hand, you must stamp your train ticket in one of the little orange stamping machines that you must pass by before entering the track areas. An unstamped ticket is invalid, and is subject to large penalties. <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Tony

There are direct trains from Florence to Venice at 0842 0905 1242 1442 and 1842. Journey time is approx. 3 hours. There are numerous other trains between these, involving one change at Bologna, and therefore slightly longer journey times. <BR>Reservations are necessary on some trains, advisable on most. This can easily be done for a small surcharge whilst in Florence.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:44 PM
frank keller

Alan, My family and I are traveling from Venice to Rome on July 6th. I was told that res. are def. reccomended. I booked it two months ago (just as soon as it opened up for for July bookings)and the 6:38am train was already sold out! Fortunately we got on the 8:38. I don't know when you are going, but I suggest you book your res. as soon as you can. Also someone on Fodor's has written that having reserved seats helped them claim thier seats from others who were sitting in them. I am also booked in 1st class and am concerned about the space allotted for luggage. We are a party of six and we will have one large piece of luggage each. Elaine, if your reading this, could you report on the luggage situation? Thanks, Frank

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Tony

I should have said the trains I mentioned above all depart from Florence S.M.N. station, not to be confused with Florence Rifredi station. <BR>At the stations there are Yellow posters that show departure times and platform numbers, and White posters that show arrival times and platform numbers. Just double check that as I may have the colours the wrong way round, my memory not being as good as it was. On the platforms there are blue posters (definitely blue) which show diagrams of each train serving that platform, which shows you where the car numbers stop on the platform. Platforms are divided into zones A B C D etc. to facilitate this. <BR>Regarding luggage Frank, you are basically on your own, inasmuch as you have to carry or wheel it yourself to the train. There is usually enough space on the trains. In Italy I would'nt use the stacks at the end of each car, preferring the overhead racks so you can keep an eye on things.Sometimes there is floor space between seat backs also.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:30 PM
kam

Generally when we take trains in Italy, we don't count on any more space than you would have in coach on a 747. Wheels definitely make things easier and a smaller bag that you can carry with you that will piggyback on the wheelie is good. Remember that Italians dress more formally than you might think, but also heed some wonderful advice an older woman gave me long ago "the only people who will know you wore the same dress last night to dinner is your husband and he will have the same situation with his slacks!" Oh--just noticed you are from the UK, so my answer would be that the Italian trains are very similar to the trains in the UK. Don't forget to punch your ticket!