Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Information (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-information-147945/)

Mike Jan 7th, 2003 11:08 AM

Train Information

Hello. Arriving in Rome (Fiumicino) and would like to take train to Venice. Is there a train station in the Rome airport? I am confused with the names of the train stations and the airport names. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rex Jan 7th, 2003 11:19 AM

There is train service from fiumicino to the center of Rome (Termini) - - and you will have to go there to catch a train to Venice.<BR><BR>If you simply want to go, as directly as possible from Fiumicino to Venice, then you should consider flying. See www.alpieagles.com and maybe others.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Ben Haines Jan 7th, 2003 01:40 PM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Tables 3 and 620 have your trains. Up to 4 trains an hour leave the station at Fiumcino airport and run 26 kilometers to Termini station. Trains, usually with restaurant cars, leave Rome Termini station at 0408, 0647, 0655, 0855, 0930 and then one or two each hour and take from 4 ½ hours to 6 hours to Venice. I think you need not book ahead. On arrival at the airport you should go to the rail desk or the railway station, and book to Venice.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

tip and top Jan 7th, 2003 07:54 PM

ttt<BR>

Ira Jan 8th, 2003 05:06 AM

Hi Mike,<BR> www.trenitalia.com is the site for the Italian train system.<BR> You want the schedule for Roma Aeroporto to Roma TE, and from Roma to Venezia St Lucia station. Don't get off in Venice Mestre.

Sherry Jan 8th, 2003 05:24 AM

There is a train that will take you from the Rome Airport directly to the Termini station in Rome where you can transfer to a train that will take you to Venice.<BR>Very near to the trains in the airport, there is a window where you can buy your ticket to go into Rome and also purchase your ticket for the train that will take you to Venice. The people at these windows are very patient and helpful.<BR>Look up the schedules on the trentalia website and print the one up that shows a block of times you would like to use to travel to Venice. If your first choice of trains is full, you will know exactly when the next train leaves.

xxx Jan 9th, 2003 01:44 AM

Does flying seem like a good idea?<BR>

Alice Twain Jan 9th, 2003 03:41 AM

Inner flights in Iltay are very costly and only barely competitive with trains. IMHO the train is still the best solution.

Denise Jan 9th, 2003 05:45 AM

I have a brochure for alpieagles that goes from venice to rome for less than $75 in one hour. Their website is www.alpieagles.com

Alice Twain Jan 9th, 2003 06:06 AM

you must add to the 75 euro the airport taxes, which turns the ticket to some 90 euro, the train ticket or taxi fee to the airport in Rome, and the bus or taxi from the airport to Venice, plus you must add to the hour of flight the one hour trip to the airport, you have to be one hour in advance at the airport for checking in, you will need at least half an hour before you can collect your stuff and half an hour more for getting from the airport to Venice. En Eurostar train takes you from the center of Rome to the Canal grande in four and a half hours (but half an hour more that you spend sitting comfortably on the train with toilets and ar available anytime you want to use them and ho security belt) for 45 euro with no furter expenses(second class, which compare the comfort level of an airlplane tourist class).

Denise Jan 9th, 2003 06:29 AM

Sorry, should have properly stated that the ticket is 55 plus taxes of 16.68 which now equals $71.68 or a little less than $75

Alice Twain Jan 9th, 2003 09:42 AM

In any case, 75 euro is still a bit less than 45 euro... 30 euro less if I am not wrong, for a trip that takes but 30 minutes more and does not need long taxi or bus or additional train rides (and fares!). In other words, and I am saying this because I know how it works, airplane is not competitive with train on the Rome-Venice line. Airplane is competitive with train and ferry for getting to Sicily or Sardinia, but not for travelling between the main cities of the peninsula, maibe except for going from Milan to Naples.