Train info needed Amsterdam to Bruges

Old May 20th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train info needed Amsterdam to Bruges

Ok ya'll I need to know what the train line is called that I need to take from Amsterdam to Bruges and back and the cost if possible.
Do I make the reservations in advance or when I get there?
I am traveling on June 7th EARLY morning to Bruges and then travling back to Amsterdam LATE evening on the 8th of June.

Where do I go to get this info? Need it in English if possible.

Thanks! I just cannot seem to figure this out on my own for some reason. Must be losing what is left of my mind.

Your help is appreciated, KatWoman
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Use this site:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You'll connect through Antwerpen-Berchem for Brugge. It takes about 3 1/2 hours. It would actually take longer to take the Thalys to Brussels and backtrack.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:15 AM

KatWoman -

Rail line information for the Netherlands can be found at:

www.ns.nl

Click on "English" in the middle of the screen, just left of the Snelplanner.

However, when I tried a search for Amsterdam to Bruges (spelled different ways) it would not accept it. So, as an alternative, try the German rail site, which has never let me down:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Unfortunately, the site does not give prices for international travel, but at least you can determine what time you want to catch your train. (For your information, travel from Amsterdam to Roosendaal, which is the southern most point in the Netherlands on this rail line, takes about 1 hr 45 minutes and costs E32.10 return, 2nd class, just to give you an idea of cost).

Travel will take 3 1/2 hours total with a change at Antwerp-Bercham.

Reservations are not necessary unless you travel on the Thalys. Note: the Thalys is NOT high speed between Amsterdam and Brussels. If you are leaving early Monday morning, you might have to fight for a seat with all the other commuters. You can purchase the ticket (and make reservations) at the International Counter at Amsterdam Centraal.

Hope this steers you in the right direction. I love Amsterdam (been there 5 times) and fell in love with Brugges last year on our first visit. Hope your journey is as enjoyable as ours was. Happy traveling. Peace.

Robyn
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:12 AM

To use the Nederlands Spoorwegen site for trains to cities outside the Netherlands click the international link at the top of the page, and the English link. Enter Amsterdam Centraal and Brugge as your departure and arrival stations. Either Brugge station will work. Also specify no HSP (high speed train) if you want to avoid TGV trains. The site will return all possible connections but no prices.
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

You hal given me great info! Thank you so much. For some reason this small part of our trip was just baffling me! Thanks again.