Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train Info in Milan (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-info-in-milan-187786/)

Joanne Jan 21st, 2003 06:57 PM

Train Info in Milan

Author: Joanne ([email protected])<BR>Date: 01/20/2003, 06:35 pm<BR>Message: HELP!!!!<BR>My sister and I will be traveling from Milan to Torino by train. Can someone tell me is the train station far from the airport and what is a reasonable amount for a taxi? I don't want to get cheated since I have never taken a taxi in Italy before. Also, what train station would we take the train from and any other information you could give me.<BR><BR> <BR>

MK Jan 21st, 2003 09:12 PM

You may find this website helpful-http://www.malpensa-airport.com. The train station will be Milano Centrale.

I Jan 22nd, 2003 12:25 AM

I just wonder if it is not better to take the bus from the airport to Turin (15,50 euros), or at least to Novara (6,71 euros) on the mainline between Milan and Turin. Is it really better to go from the airport east to Milano Centrale (5,06 euros), then west again to Turin? <BR><BR>www.malpensa-airport.com/english/getting.htm

Eye Spy Jan 22nd, 2003 04:15 AM

No MK! If you take the Malpensa Express, the terminus is Milano-Cadorna and NOT Milano Centrale. This is the best way to get into the center of the city with the least amount of hassle. The station and ride is clean, efficient, inexpensive. For more information, go to http://www.ferrovienord.it/webmxp/index.html (English language option)

Tess Jan 22nd, 2003 06:54 AM

Joanne,<BR><BR>Thus far you've only gotten a few pieces and not the whole picture ~ and unfortunately I, too can't give you all your options. Hopefully Alice (who lives in Italy) will be able to provide her opinion.<BR><BR>First of all, you'll need to get to Milano Centrale station. Yes, the train station is FAR from the airport. It takes just under an hour to get from Malpensa to Milano Centrale. Taxi ride from MXP to this station is expensive; depending on when you travel (day vs. night) and luggage it can run about 80 euros. If that's not in the budget, there's a shuttle bus that goes from the airport to Milano Centrale ~ travel time about the same and cost is only about 10 euros. There is a train (Malpensa Express) which goes directly out of the airport, however it ends up at the Cadorna Nord station and NOT Milano Centrale (to get to Centrale from here, it's several stops on the subway). <BR><BR>Finally, it may be better not to bother with the trains and look into taking a bus directly from the airport to Torino. Especially when you consider the time it takes to get to Milano Centrale ( ~ 1 hr) and then the train on to Torino ( ~ 1 hr, 40 min). Not familiar with bus schedules ... so this the extent of my 2-cents worth knowledge.<BR>

gac Jan 22nd, 2003 07:23 AM

You're much better off taking the direct airporter bus from Malpensa to Turin Porta Susa Train Station, operated twice daily by SADEM lines (if their schedule is convenient).<BR><BR>Look in the Malpensa web site and in<BR>www.sadem.it<BR><BR>PS: If you are flying Alitalia into Malpensa, they have special buses going to Turin. Enquire with Alitalia.

x-x-x Jan 23rd, 2003 08:54 AM

up ...<BR>

VK Jan 24th, 2003 07:41 AM

I am also flying into Milan and less than sure this was a good idea. My real destination is Florence but I arrive in Milan at 5pm, probably too late to take the train to Florence, or is it? Should I try to go to Turin from the Airport instead of into Milan? I am open to any suggestions as I have no experience traveling.

Tess Jan 24th, 2003 08:07 AM

VK-<BR><BR>Your 5pm arrival isn't any problem for you to then continue on to Florence. Train schedules can be viewed on website, www.trenitalia.com<BR>If your flight lands on time and you're able to breeze thru customs and catch the next shuttle bus out of MXP to Milano Centrale, you MAY be able to get on the Eurostar to Florence departing at 19:00 (7-pm). After that there are several more Eurostar runs on the Milan-Florence run ~ next one at 20:00 (8-pm), another at 20:35 (8:35 pm).

Steve James Jan 24th, 2003 08:07 AM

VK - Eurostar trains to Florence leave Milano Centrale at:-<BR>18.00<BR>19.00<BR>20.00<BR>20.35<BR><BR>So you shouldn't have a problem unless your flight is late.<BR><BR>Don't even THINK of going to Turin!<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve

gottabee Feb 18th, 2003 10:14 AM

I am doing the exact itinerary as VK. Thanks for the helpful information. Do you recommend buying train tickets in advance? Approximately how long is the train ride from Milan to Florence?

Ursula Feb 18th, 2003 10:23 AM

<BR>Best nonstop connection Milano Centrale to Firenze is about 2h 45 min.<BR>You can check timetable with www.sbb.ch

gottabee Feb 18th, 2003 02:40 PM

Thanks. Found it. However, I couldn't find pricing information ... anyone know how much roundtrip ticket costs?

MK Feb 18th, 2003 03:55 PM

On the Eurostar, 1 way, Milano_Firenze:<BR><BR>1st class Euro 41.83<BR>2nd class Euro 28.92<BR><BR>You can check fares at www.trenitalia.com

lafrancaise Feb 18th, 2003 04:00 PM

Milano Centrale train station is about 1 hour away from Milanpensa Airport. Taxis cost about $40-60 euro but there is an even cheaper option available right outside the Milano Centrale train station - an express bus/shuttle to Milanpensa for only 4 euro each way. The trip takes about 1 hour and the buses leave every hour to/from the airport. I have taken that shuttle into Milano every time I travel there (about 5 times a year) and just used it again last month. I would heartily recommend that mode of transportation to/from the airport anyday.