Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train in Italy; 1st class or 2nd class (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-in-italy-1st-class-or-2nd-class-771052/)

eboy Mar 5th, 2009 10:21 AM

Train in Italy; 1st class or 2nd class

Is there much of difference between 1st class and 2nd class, will be traveling between Milan and Naples

Palenque Mar 5th, 2009 11:02 AM

Yes there is and that's why folks willingly pay much more for first-class than second-class.

If you are on a low budget go second class - it's adequate on the ES trains you will be taking - yet first class is much more adequate - apply the same criteria to train travel IMO as you do to your hotels. You could get a good night's sleep in a one-star hotel but would enjoy the added luxury in a 3-star a whole lot more.

panecott Mar 5th, 2009 11:02 AM

Presumably, between those two cities, you will be traveling on the Eurostar, in which case the only significant difference is in price. Second class is very comfortable.

I always travel second class, regardless of the type of train. Comfort levels vary, depending on how old the trains are, but in general, second class is just fine and first class is not worth the extra money, IMO.

Palenque Mar 5th, 2009 11:14 AM

I always travel second class, regardless of the type of train. Comfort levels vary, depending on how old the trains are, but in general, second class is just fine and first class is not worth the extra money, IMO.>

Uummh - never traveled in first class but fines 2nd class just as fine

And to me anyone who says the only difference is price simply has never ridden in first class

besides price seats in 1st class are 25% bigger - 3 seats in a row - one seat on the window and aisle (so called 'isolated' seat that i love) - in 2nd class two seats by two seats in the same space as three in 1st class

and with less people in the same size compartment there is more room for luggage in luggage racks and also there tends to be more empty seats in 1st class - i usually set my luggage on an empty seat near me.

Be leery of folks who say there is no difference in classes as that tells me they have never gone in 1st class. Will 2nd class get you there? Yes - is it a cattle car - no - but again there is a reason the railways can charge a premium price - Italians would not be that dumb to pay more for the same level of service you know.

Palenque Mar 5th, 2009 11:40 AM

i have no problem with folks saying 2nd class is perfectly fine for their demands - but when someone says there is no difference between classes then it's mis-information.

GeoffHamer Mar 5th, 2009 01:13 PM

The seats in first class are a bit bigger, so may be more comfortable for someone who is very tall or fat. The second-class seats are big enough for an average-size person.
I have only travelled in first class seats when second-class is fully booked or when it hasn't cost any extra. I would not pay extra to sit in first class.

panecott Mar 5th, 2009 01:23 PM

First of all, I never said there is NO difference between first and second class. I said that on the Eurostar, the only SIGNIFICANT difference was in the price, which I stand by. I also said that second class on the Eurostar is quite comfortable, which it is. I did not say it was the same as first class.

Second, I said, "second class is just fine", not "just AS fine". Your insertion of the word "as" distorted the meaning of what I said.

Third, I also made it clear that comfort levels do vary, and my statement that "in general, second class is just fine" was qualified with "IMO", meaning, "in my opinion". I did not suggest that it was a universal truth.

Fourth, I didn't say I've never traveled in First Class. I have, on several of my early trips to Europe, with a Eurail pass. More recently, however, I do always travel in second class, and I still believe that the price difference between the two is not worth it. Again, IMO.

Too bad if I offended your first class sensibilities, but there was nothing misleading in anything I posted.

panecott Mar 5th, 2009 01:31 PM

I might add that the reason there are usually empty seats in first class is that MOST people, including Italians, do not feel that the price difference is worth it.

kybourbon Mar 5th, 2009 01:53 PM

There is very little difference between 1st and 2nd cl on AV/ES trains (which is what you are likely booking) in Italy. Price, number of seats across and a free beverage basically. Click on the London to Rimini, Ancona, Pescara, Bari, Brindisi link under "taking the train to Italy" to see a good picture of 2nd cl on an ES train. 1st cl will be similar except for 3 seats across instead of 4.
http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

Palenque Mar 6th, 2009 06:58 AM

Presumably, between those two cities, you will be traveling on the Eurostar, in which case the only significant difference is in price. Second class is very comfortable.>

No this is mis-information - there is a lot of difference - seats more roomy - that is a difference right? More room for luggage - that is a difference right

the ability to get a seat with a window and an aisle - that to me is a big difference

and seats in first class IME also often have a table in between them - a big difference

to say the only signficant difference is price is mis-information IMO - again if the only difference is price then there are a lot of dumb Italians - sep business types riding in first class - they obviously feel there is more a difference than in price.

this is not to say that second-class will not be good enough for many.

And i always travel 2nd class whenever i can save some money - that's because of my low low budget requirements.

Margaretlb Mar 6th, 2009 10:10 AM

With first class you have a guaranteed seat assignment. With second class you may end up without a seat and wind up sitting on the floor near the baggage racks.

Palenque Mar 6th, 2009 10:18 AM

No one ES type trains and IC+ trains all seats, first or second class must have seat reservations before boarding - comes with the ticket.

On IC trains you can make reservations in either class but most of the seats will be reserved - the only seats that are open to folks without reservations are numbered 60-75 (or some such number) - there will be no indications given on the other seats if they are reserved down the line so sitting in an empty seat in the non guaranteed not reserved section of each car means you could be rooted out by someone who has reserved the seat down the line.

Regional trains - no reservations in any case.

At least this is how i understand it.

Zerlina Mar 6th, 2009 10:20 AM

>>With first class you have a guaranteed seat assignment. With second class you may end up without a seat and wind up sitting on the floor near the baggage racks.<<

Not so, I'm afraid. On trains with compulsory seat reservation, you can choose first or second class.

On Regionale trains for which no seat reservation is possible, first class (if available) may be less crowded, but you are not guaranteed a seat in first class any more than in second class.