Train Guidance with Kids in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my family of 5 wife and three kids (16, 12, 7) to Europe next summer. We will fly into Barcelona and out of Barcelona to the US, but fly roundtrip from Barcelona to Rome and then take trains throughout our time in Italy. What is the easiest way to get from Rome airport to train station to catch train to Naples. We will arrive on an Alitalia flight into Rome at 6:30 pm on June 26 and will plan to head straight to Naples where we are staying that evening. I am looking for the best/easiest option to do this with three kids and then the best train options to go Naples-Rome, Rome-Florence, Florence-Venice, and then Venice-Rome with three kids. We are looking for ease and comfort ahead of price, any guidance with planning this will be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 06:38 AM

www.trenitalia.com has all the schedules.

Airport take direct train to Rome Termini station and hook up with frequent trains to Naples.

Book other trains yourself online - for help with this www.seat61.com has great tips -general info on trains like 1st v2nd class - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 07:28 AM

Are you okay with not arriving in Naples until around 10:30-11:00 pm? The train journey itself, including the airport shuttle train into Rome, is just over 3 1/2 hours plus add to that going through Immigration at the airport then picking up checked luggage, if any and getting to the shuttle.

Some times you can do that part in about 30 minutes, most times twice that, depends of the distance from your gate although Alitalia gets most of the best gates and crowds.

You might want to look in to a car service, you'd probably need a van with five people and luggage. That won't be cheap, maybe 450-500€ but would be easy.

For the rest of your journey, book trains online and pay extra, if necessary, to reserve seats. You can do all those legs on fast trains without ever changing trains.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 07:35 AM

For the rest of your journey, book trains online and pay extra, if necessary, to reserve seats.>

All train tickets in Italy come with mandated seat reservations except regional trains which they will not be using.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Is there a reason you're flying RT to/from Barcelona instead of open-jaw into Barcelona and out of Rome or Naples?
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:38 AM

Sounds like planes are booked! If not yes open jaw is usually best - saves a day of travel and can be cheaper with two flights instead of four?
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 11:57 AM

Yes arriving by air that late and could be much later before you clear Immigration, etc. means either stay in airport hotel or book a car driver as cathinjoetown advises. Trains not practical with kids especially for getting to Naples.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM

The train journey from Fiumicino airport to Naples is only 2 - 2 1/2 hours by high-speed train, not 3 1/2 hours. In fact, the most frequent schedule is a trip of 1 hour 57 minutes.

If the flight's on time, you could be in Naples by around 9:30 PM, catching a train from the airport at 7:38. If you miss that, another train would get there at around 10:00. There are trains that leave even later, but I would expect that you wouldn't need these unless your flight is late. Even the train leaving at 8:53 would have you in Naples by 11.

I'm usually through immigration and baggage collection in about an hour from touchdown, so with any luck, you'd catch the first of the two trains I mention.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:55 AM

Because of uncertainty about flight arrival times, and time to get out of the airport, I would buy the tickets when you get to Fiumicino. There are multi-lingual ticket machines at the airport, and they accept most credit cards.

Sometimes the best connection is not by the Leonardo Express to Termini station, but by the FL1 regional train to Tiburtina station. The high speed trains to Naples stop at both stations. When you get your ticket, check to see which station the second train is departing from. If it's Tiburtina, you don't want to take the Leonardo Express, but the other train. (At that time of day, there are only two trains leaving from the airport.) The final destination of the FL1 is usually Fara Sabina, but even if it's not, you can be sure it stops at Tiburtina.

The FL1 one makes nine stops before getting to Tiburtina. The station before Tiburtina is Tuscolana, so start getting your stuff together as soon as you leave that station.

Finally, even though your ticket will indicate a departure time for the train (Leonardo Express or FL1) leaving the airport, you don't need to wait for that train if there's another leaving sooner. The more time you have to change trains, the better. Just don't get on the wrong train, because the ticket for the FL1 can't be used on the Leonardo Express. Also, the Leonardo Express only goes to Termini station (no other stops) and the FL1 doesn't stop at Termini.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 03:40 PM

bvlenci,

I remember this journey as being longer than 2 1/2 hours but I did it only once several years ago. However, I did check this source before posting my answer:

https://www.italiarail.com/pages/rou...port-to-naples
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 03:47 PM

Several years ago today's high-speed trains do Rome-Naples in about 70 minutes. Maybe you went before the high-speed train went into service?
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Probably, clearly I'm out of date and so is the info on train times!