Search

London- 1 day to sightsee and need a hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London- 1 day to sightsee and need a hotel

Hello, all.

My fiance and I are getting married in Ireland and then heading to Italy for a Cruise to Turkey, Greece, etc.

On our way back to the states we have a layover in London. We get in to Gatwick at 1pm on a Saturday and depart from Heathrow at 10am on Sunday.

Suggestions on transportation, where to stay, etc? We need help!!

Thank you!
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 10:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You can stay anywhere - along the Piccadilly line if you plan on taking the tube to LHR, or just about anywhere if using a car service like justairports.com

From LGW you will take a train into London - which train depends on where you end up staying.

You will only have the late afternoon/evening free in London so I'd stay VERY central. Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Russell square, etc. You'll probably get to your hotel by 3:30 or a little later, and need to be at LHR by 7:00 or 7:30AM.

What is your budget?
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highly recommend staying by Gloucester Road tube station as it is the Piccadilly line to everywhere in London including back out to Heathrow in 40 minutes for about 7 pounds.You are right near the history museum,one stop from Harrods and about 5 stops to Convent Garden,Russell Square,etc.
My favorite in that area that is reasonable and has everything you need besides being less than a 3 minute walk to the tube station is the Holiday Inn- Kensington/Gloucester Road. They have a wonderful buffet breakfast if you have time or coffee shop on the main floor,news stand,concierge,etc.
It is right across the street from the Millenium Hotel and one block over from the NH Harrington. Just in the area is a Waitrose grocery,Boots drugstore,pubs and shops along with a Tesco convenient store. Check it out on Tripadvisor or Booking.com.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I really hate early flights so if this were me I'd take the bus on arrival from Gatwick to Heathrow, check into an airport hotel, go into town and come back to sleep as near as I could get to my flight next day.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:10 PM

Taking the coach to LHR is an option - but you won'y have checked into your hotel there until easily 5 or 6 PM. so it will be 7PM-ish before you get into town.

If you stay in central London - you can be checked in by around 2:30 or 3PM.

Mostly depends what you feel about really early mornings.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
3 extra hours to Heathrow? No, don't think so, but it does depend on where you'd like to stay, in town or close next morning. Depends on the time of year too, what kind of experience evening in town would be. Summer it's light late so lots of variables besides that wretched next morning. I stay my last night near the airport even for a 1pm flight. I do like my slow mornings.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've made it from Gatwick to Heathrow by coach in under an hour. I see that National Express is scheduling for 1:05 to 1:20 for early Saturday afternoon. I agree that with that early a check-in, and for only one night, I'd be inclined to stay at Heathrow. I might opt for Windsor instead of London, too.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM

>>3 extra hours to Heathrow?<<

Not an extra 3 hours to LHR -- but easily an extra 3 hours in to central London.

W/ a 1PM arrival and hour+ at LGW, and hour by coach to LHR, at least 35 minutes getting to the Hoppa bus stop and to the hotel. 20-30 minutes to check in and drop bags in the room, 20-30 for the Hoppa back to LHR and an Hour into the city make it very likely they won't be in centralLondon til 7 PM or later.