Search

Five Days in Dubrovnik in June

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five Days in Dubrovnik in June

Hi everyone,

I posted a similar message earlier but received no response so I'm trying again. We've actually come to a conclusion since my last post-
We will be spending 5 days in early June in (or around) Dubrovnik and I was hoping for some advice with respect to the following questions:

1. Is the weather usually warm enough to go to the beach at this time of year?

2. We weren't planning on renting a car - are there places for us to see that are reachable by public transport?

3. Are there beaches nearby that anyone can recommend?

4. Someone had suggested we spend a few days in Trogir. It seems like that is not very close - is it worth it?

5. Can anyone tell me more about the Elaphiti islands, particularly the beaches and transport to and from there?

6. If we end up basing ourselves in Dubrovnik can anyone recommend a centrally located apartment/villa rental? We will only be two people but if the price is reasonable we would consider renting a larger place.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM

I can't answer all your questions but will reply to some. We stayed in Cavtat late September/early October in 2005 and visited Dubrovnik a couple of times. There is a regular boat service between Cavtat and Dubrovnik and would recommend that for a visit or even a possible alternative place to stay.

I would imagine it should generally be warm enough for the beach at this time of year - it was still quite warm when we went late September. A lot of the beaches in the area are pebble or sometimes stone swimming platforms with steps into the sea. I'm afraid I we didn't find any sandy beaches and we didn't visit the islands, though we saw lots of boat trips advertised.

We enjoyed a visit to the gardens at Trsteno, which I'm sure could be visited by local bus, as they are just off the main coast road.

We found loads of accommodation through http://www.dubrovnik-online.com and ended up staying at Villa Markoc in Cavtat. Some pictures of my trip are at http://www.worldisround.com/articles/223336/index.html
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:28 PM

I stayed in Trogir when I visited Croatia in August 2006. I adored my time there, but it is approximately 5 hours away by bus, so I am not sure it justifies a trip that far north unless you plan on visiting other sights up there (for example, Split, the islands, and so on). There is plenty to keep you occupied in and around for Dubrovnik for 5 days. We stayed there for four days and could easily imagine spending a week there touring the city and taking day trips to the nature parks and the like around Dubrovnik.

In Dubrovnik, we stayed at V&P Club Villa Ragusa in the Old Town. <http://tinyurl.com/2zluej>. It was in a great location, above St. Blaise's Church. We had a stunning view from our room of Dubrovnik's wonderful roofs. The room itself was great (the bathroom was cramped, though . . . we had a room on the top floor where space was at a premium). The price for having that view, however, was that the place was nestled near the top of one of Dubrovnik's hills rising from the center. So hiking up that hill and then 3 flights of stairs was our normal routine, we didn't mind as the view was astounding, but others might be put off by the climb. Lovely room though and the owner was very friendly and helpful. I would love to stay there again.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM

I visited Croatia at the end of June last year and it was pretty hot (28-30 degrees celcius) the whole time. So I'm not certain, but I'd imagine it will be fairly warm in early June also.

We were on a boat cruising around the islands, so only had a day in Dubrovnik, but it was amazing. I'm sure you'll love it.

As far as visiting Trogir goes, I really don't think it's worth the long drive either. I visited it as a day trip from Split and it was cute, but it wouldn't worth the detour from Dubrovnik!

As far as day trips go, you'd be better served to visit some of the beautiful islands dotted along the Dalmatian coast, many of which have decent beaches and fantastic scenery.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just about worth taking a car up to Montenegro and visiting the capital and the temple of the prince bishops. Very odd and the old palace has some fun paintings in it.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM
nbujic

the weather should be fine, the water may be a bit cool. the beaches over there are not sandy but pebble and stone.
Trogir is a long way from Dubrovnik, what is near and worth a visit is Montenegro.
The topic has been covered by a number of posters. Some apt. you may look at:
http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/apartments_antonela/

http://www.dubrovnikconcierge.com/pages/kashe.htm
http://www.dubrovnik-amoret.com/dubr..._revelin.html#

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Hi Travellamb, We went to Croatia last June, arriving on the 10th I think. When we first arrived the evenings were a little cool, and the water felt cold during the day, but after a few days it warmed up. There is a sandy beach on the island of Lopud, which is easily reached by boat. That was our favorite. We spent 2 days just going there. The water was quite warm, and very shallow for pretty far out. There were two places right at the beach to eat and drink, which we enjoyed. We didn't have a car, and didn't miss one. The East West Beach in Dubrovnik is pebbles, so bring water shoes for that. There are beach chairs at both for a small fee, I don't remember exactly how much off hand. We stayed at a small apartment right up against the walls facing the sea, I will give you info if interested. It had a balcony that overlooked the rooftops and had a great view of the sea also. Not too fancy, but clean,with nice owners, and the balcony was to die for. Medjugorie is about 2 hrs away by car. There are bus trips, or you could negotiate with a cap driver. Miljet is a nice island with salt water lakes, that is a nice get away. Bike rental is available there. There are ferries that go to the Elaphite Islands-- easily reachable. We went to Split, but did not visit Trogir. We loved Croatia. Have a wonderful trip! pp
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM

hi travellamb.. we were in Dubrovnik and Trogir last year (last week in May). we had perfect weather.. one day was very warm. perfect beach weather.. water chilly but great. went on a kayak half day trip around the island of Lokrum, had beach time and snorkeling.. great fun. public transportation is great.. bus to the ferry to go to Mljet for the day.. nice beach areas there. the bus ride to Trogir was long with great views but hot and uncomfortable in the back of the bus.. i didnt think it was worth it.. until we arrived. it is really a very nice, little place. enjoyed it a LOT. cant recommend Dubrovnik villa.. we picked up a Sobe when we got off the bus. clean, spacious, cheap. if you want to read my trip report - i'll try to put the link here.. (never did that before, so sorry if it doesnt work) - We absolutely loved Dubrovnik (specially at night when there were no cruise ship crowds) and LOVED Trogir - (if you like pizza.. you must go to Top Balloon.. mmmm). http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...illi&fid=2
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM

ah.. link definitely didnt work.. takes you back here.. um.. well, anyway. trip report was titled Just back from Dubrovnik..some info.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM

TRAVELLAMB -

Early June is a great time to be in Dubrovnik - warm but not too warm. As for visiting other places, you can take a tour to Montenegro or a boat ride to any of many islands not too far from Dubrovnik. Trogir is definitely too far if you only have 5 days.

I've been to Croatia 3 times and 2 of those trips are described in the web pages linked below. Enjoy !

http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/croatia.htm
http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/slovenia.htm
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM

To: peppermintpatti
Do you remember the name of the place you stayed while in Dubrovnik? We have one in mind, but it sound like it is a long climb up to it. Looking for something with a view (of course) and fewer steps. Will be in d. in mid-September. Thanks. mhm
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
nbujic

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_adriatica/

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Hi Mercy, We booked it through Adriatica.net. It is apartment IS-5024-1. The apartment they are listing is the downstairs apartment, which we liked, but the bathroom was out in the hall, and we had to go up a short flight of stairs to our terrace. The upstairs apartment is just one bedroom, but we would have preferred this one, given the option.
A brother and sister rent out both apt. The brother's name is Toni Lucic, his phone is 0038598344540, and email is [email protected]. Unfortunately, because it is right up against the walls, it is pretty much at the top of the stairway. So a good hike up. We called it "The Dubrovnik Stairmaster"! We didn't really mind the stairs, and the view was really worth it. Wherever you stay, have a wonderful time in Croatia! We loved it there! pp
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. This was very helpful. We will be staying at Villa Adriatica, Room 3 (I've read mixed things about this room, so now I'm sort of worried, but it's too late, money has been wired). I will post when we return! Thanks!