Reload this Page >

Train from Venice to Paris: Bern, Geneva, or Lausanne

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Cindy

We are taking a train from Venice to Paris, and spending one night on the way. I had planned to spend the night in Bern because that sounds like the prettiest route, but it looks like we won't be able to get there until 6:01 p.m., and then would have to leave at 8:32 a.m. to take the TGV to Paris. If we go through Lausanne or Geneva, we'll get there a little bit earlier, and be able to leave a little bit later the next morning. I know that we won't have time to see anything in any of these cities, but we're going that way for the view. <BR><BR>So my questions are: Is the train to Bern THAT MUCH prettier than the train to Geneva or Lausanne? Or is the scenery about the same? Would it make more sense to stay in Lausanne or Geneva (would arrive around 5:00 or 6:00 p.m., and would leave around 10:00 the next morning)? Or should we do Bern even though it means getting up and out so early (2 children, 2 adults)? Also, someone had suggested in anothe post that we stay in Vevay or another smaller town. But wouldn't that mean switching trains in Lausanne? Or is there another option that I'm missing. Thank you for your help.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Shannon

I've done both routes with one small child. It depends on what time of year you are going. Yes, the route through Bern is, in my opinion, much prettier than going via Lyons from Milan (as you know, you change trains in Milan). Bern is a wonderful town for children, and if it's summer, it will get darker later on. Alternatively, I would suggest, again if it's summer, stopping the night instead in Montreux. If your children are quite young, there are wonderful grassy areas and a number of playgrounds all along the waterfront. If the jazz festival is going on, it's a lovely party atmosphere, and you can much on festival food in the park (kids LOVE crepes!). If your kids are older, the music this summer includes jazz, rock, and blues -- something for everyone. Montreux is on the same route as the route to Lausanne. Great views from the train!<BR>Have fun!

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:31 AM
s

Cindy,<BR><BR>I had a lot of fun playing with your route. I think you've got two great options.<BR><BR>Stay overnight in Brig instead of Bern. You'll leave Venice at 10.12 and arrive in Brig at 15.24. My memories of Brig (just travelling through) is that it's a lovely small town with great views of the mountains. Then you can leave Brig the next day at 10.13, travel through Aigle, Montreux, Vevey, & Lausanne and get to Paris at 16.25. That route along the lake is pretty scenic!<BR><BR>Or you can stay overnight in Montreux or Vevey, but that will mean the 8.12 departure from Venice as you mention. But the train arrives in Montreux at 14.38, leaving you a few hours to stretch your legs and enjoy the views. Then you can leave the next morning at 11.39 and arrive in Paris at 16.25 (there are earlier trains, but they require more changes).<BR><BR>Sorry, but I have no real opinon on Bern as an overnight destination or as a routing choice. I'm just offering you some other choices . . .<BR><BR>You can check these schedules and overnight options at www.rail.ch, then click on "Travel/Timetable." When you get your first set of connections, find one that appeals to you and click on "Journey Guide" to see what cities the train goes through. You can play with the routing by changing the "via" option at the first page where you entered the day/time/origin/destination information.<BR><BR>Feel free to e-mail me<BR><BR>s<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Cindy

Dear S and Shannon:<BR><BR>Thank you SO much for your help! Looks like Brig or Montreux would work out perfectly! I'll let you know what we decide.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Tony

For what its worth, out of Brig and Montreux, my vote would be for Montreux, which is on the lake, and offers an option of a very pleasant evening cruise along the lake, including Dinner or snacks on board if you wish.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:37 AM
s

Cindy,<BR><BR>I'm only writing to offer websites for each of these towns:<BR><BR>www.brig.ch -- only in German, but it has some neat photos of the town. Go to "Tourismus" for more info.<BR><BR>www.montreux.ch or www.vevey.ch -- find the photo gallery for views over the lake to the mountains.<BR><BR>Hope these sites & photos help you make your decision!<BR><BR>s

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Cindy

Okay, now you folks are going to think that I'm really indecisive, but as I talked to my husband about these choices, he said, "What I really want is a place where I can ride a chairlift!:<BR>So, now I'm wondering, what about Chamonix? Would that ride be scenic? Would we get a real feel for the Alps, or should we stick to Switzerland? Also, does anyone have comments on Thun? Thank you!

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Vevey

When I did the route you describe, I chose the overnight train from Venice (transfer Milan) wake up in Paris.<BR><BR>Vevey is a much prettier town than either Montreux or Lausanne (I have a friend who lives there and have visited 4 times recently).<BR><BR>Chairlift? Sorry, now ya got me! Have a wonderful trip!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Ingo

For a chair lift ride you should stay overnight in Kandersteg. It is on the Brig-Bern route, right after the Loetschberg tunnel. <BR><BR>Kandersteg is a nice village surrounded by mighty mountains. Do a chair lift ride up to the beautiful Lake Oeschinen and back. From the Lake (ca. 1600 m) you will have a wonderful view of the mountains (ca. 3600 m) and glaciers.<BR><BR>I did not check the schedule, but I guess it is ca. 1 h from Brig and 1:30 h to Bern next day.<BR><BR>Chamonix is off the major rail line, so you need much more time. And I am not sure if there is a chair lift, I only know cable cars and cog-wheel trains in this area operating in summer.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Cindy

Bingo! I think that Kandersteg may be the perfect place! I found a wonderful website that shows the chairlift, cable cars, and a tobaggan sled! I'm not sure if we'd get there in time to use it, but it's all SO PRETTY! Thank you, Ingo, and everyone -- you people are so helpful! It makes me feel teary eyed!