10 days in Switzerland at the beginning of September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the travel dates are far off, but I'm in the mode of just booking the flight and now I want the whole thing figured out. My husband and I will fly into Zurich on Sept. 3rd (arrival time is 1pm). From reading some of the posts here, it seems like taking the train directly to Lucerne is a good idea. We live in a big city, so neither of us feel a need to stay in Zurich (I don't think we've actually stayed longer than a few hours in any major European city when we've traveled - we both prefer getting out into the actual country.). Once we get there, we have 8 full days to explore. We leave from Geneva on the 13th.

I had thought of doing a few nights in Lucerne as a base, a couple nights in Wengen (or Interlaken - it really depends on what type of accommodations we go with), a night or two in Zermatt, and then the last night in Geneva - though our flight is not until 2pm so we could stay in Montreux and leave early from there - again, staying in a larger city isn't a big deal for us.

Our biggest thing that we want to do is hike. Not any kind of crazy scaling a mountain type stuff, but we're pretty big on hiking some moderate to difficult trails here in Washington, so things of that nature. Not something we want to do everyday, as we also have no issues just walking around and taking in the views, but we do want to do our fair share of it. I guess that's where I'm having trouble with finding out which bases to use. My original plan looked like this:

3rd- Zurich to Lucerne when we land (if Zurich really is worth walking around, we may stay for a few hours and do it, but it's not a deal breaker)

4th - Lucerne

5th - Lucerne

6th - Lucerne

7th - Lucerne

8th - Lucerne/Wengen

9th - Wengen

10th - Wengen/Zermatt

11th - Zermatt

12th - Zermatt/Montreux

13th - Geneva

But I'm also torn on a day trip to Lugano. Much as I'd love to go to Italy and eat an ungodly amount of pasta, I don't want to go until we can spend ample time around the entire country.. so a nice day trip (or overnight) to a spot that's very Italian influenced would suffice. I'd imagine getting to Como would put too much strain on our days and make things feel rushed? But would Lugano be the same? If it would sound feasible, would it be best to do it after Lucerne/before Wengen/Interlaken? Or should it be scratched all together? I should mention that we'll be getting the Swiss Pass rather than renting a car.

I think the main thing is, we want to see all we can, but this is different than other trips we've taken in Europe. We've always just rented a car, started driving around and stopped when we saw things we thought were interesting. So relying on a train is a different experience. Especially with all the different scenic ones - and the Swiss Pass gives you the free ride on the Panorama train - basically that's all overwhelming to me and I feel like I need it explained to me like I'm 5 years old of what we should and shouldn't do.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Lugano IME is not at all like Italy except for the language spoken - Lugano is spic-and-span modern and clean - lacking the old-world if rather at times crumbling charm of Italian towns and Como is just a few minutes by train from Lugano - why not fly out of Milan - Malpensa Airport being not far from Como by train - no need to go into Milan itself for that link.

I'd also take a day out of Lucerne and put it in Wengen or Interlaken - so so much varied things to see and do there - lake boat tours on the two lakes bookending Interlaken and scintillating trips to the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn- hikes for all degrees of energy and footwear - you can walk to a glacier right from Grindelwald!

You are traveling around enough by train to take a good look at the Swiss Pass, Half-Fare Card, Swiss Card, etc - one of those will probably save you money and the pass time as you need no waits in lines for tickets but just hop on any train, with few exceptions, postal bus, city tram or bus, lake boats like on Lake Lucerne and Lake Brienz and Lake Thun and Lake Lugano, etc and also a pass gives free entry to 470 Swiss museums including the famous popular Ballenberg Open-air museum overlooking Lake Brienz and those in Lucerne.

Great sources of info on Swiss trains, boats, etc - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - if going to Monreux you can take from Interlaken the famous Golden Pass train with those unique VIP cars or simply in the nearly all glass panoramic observation cars (free with a pass - VIP requires a hefty supplement).
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 04:06 PM
kja

I thoroughly enjoyed Lugano, but going there would mean devoting a chunk of your limited time to getting there and back. Would it be worth it to you to skip some of the many things there are to do in the places you have already selected?

As I understand, the "panorama" trains are trains with panoramic windows that are ridden primarily by tourists and for which you need a reservation. They run the SAME train lines as Switzerland's normal regional trains, so you have much more flexibility with the regional trains. And some of the windows on the regional trains open, unlike those on the "panoramic" trains. (And yes, it is confusing -- several expert Fodorite had to walk me through it before I got it!)
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 09:53 PM

Hi Mafhoney,

I also would take a day from Luzern and add it to Wengen. Luzern is still a city, and I don't think that would be very enjoyable for you. I think three full days there is enough for you to enjoy walking the lakes, visiting lakeside villages, and walking in the mountains.

I would also skip Zermatt. I personally don't care for the town (too built up and overcrowded for my taste), plus I think you'll already have two mountain destinations in your itinerary (Luzern & Wengen). I think you'll have more diversity if you spend more time in Montreux -- you should give yourself enough time to:

Walk to and through the old town of Montreux, about 2h
Walk from Montreux to Chillon, 45 minutes
Tour Chillon, 2h
Spend half a day walking the Lavaux vineyards, from Lutry to Cully or Rivaz
Spend half a day enjoying the old town of Vevey
Take a 2h cruise on the lake, maybe from Montreux to Lutry to begin your vineyard walk.

I'd also suggest that you take the Golden Pass train route from Interlaken to Montreux (via Zweisimmen and Gstaad) to enjoy the views. Send your luggage separately on the train using the Fast Baggage service, and you can stop off to see Gruyeres for the cheese dairy or stop off in Gstaad and walk to Saanen (1h) then continue your journey.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 12:37 PM

As I understand, the "panorama" trains are trains with panoramic windows that are ridden primarily by tourists and for which you need a reservation. They run the SAME train lines as Switzerland's normal regional trains, so you have much more flexibility with the regional trains.>

True however regional trains stop more and you may have to change trains a few time with down time - like the Glacier Express takes 8 hours or so to go between Zermatt and St Moritz but in one day you cannot I believe even do it on regional trains. Ditto for the Golden Pass Montreux-Interlaken-Lucerne but for short segments of those trains I actually like the regional train better as I can move around as the scenery dictate - the official scenic trains ubiquitously IME being chock full with tour groups so you are stuck in your seat.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 12:50 PM

Golden Pass train route from Interlaken to Montreux (via Zweisimmen and Gstaad) to enjoy the views. Send your luggage separately on the train using the Fast Baggage service, and you can stop off to see Gruyeres for the>

does the Golden Pass itself go thru Gruyeres? Or do you mean to take a side detour off the Golden Pass line. Did not know it went thru Gruyeres.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 02:09 PM

www.bahn.de/en shows no routing Montreux-Gstaad that stops in Gruyeres - yet I guess swandav means to detour off the route to Gruyeres and rejoin the GP, making a long day of a few hour trip if going to Interlaken.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 04:00 PM

This won't fit into your current schedule but I'm saying this in case you change plans. We loved Locarno, really nice town, lots to see around the area and situated on a beautiful lake. It's 3 hours direct train from Lucerne.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, too many days in Luzern and being there isn't any more "out in the country" than is being in Zurich, IMO.

If you don't want to stay in Zurich then don't; you don't need permission.

Those panorama cars that "tourists take" and you aren't? The windows are much bigger, there is more leg room, and this implication about not being able to move throughout the train because you are in First Class: total BS. Panorama cars are worth every single penny you pay for the seat reservation IMO.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 09:32 PM

Yes, PalQ, I meant to take the short detour off the GP route to see Gruyeres -- you change trains in Montbovon. Well worth while.

s
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 01:44 PM

this implication about not being able to move throughout the train because you are in First Class: total BS>

I have been on several of these specialty scenic trains where the seats were all full - you're kind of stuck in your seat - you experiences are different than mine.