Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

train from Schiphol to....and Gare Du Nord to...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:32 PM
liz

Hello, <BR>Where can I find a map or schedule online with the different train and tram lines in Amsterdam and perhaps Paris? I need it for the following; <BR>1. train from Schiphol to centraal station, with a connection to Osdorp somewhere... <BR>2. I will take the train from Amsterdam to Paris...I know I will arrive at Gare Du Nord, but would like to figure out which metro I will hop on to go on to the 15e arr. <BR>Thanks a bunch...my local bookstore doesn't have anything remotely close to what I am looking for. <BR>Liz <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Sjoerd

You can find a find a map at www.gvb.nl From Schiphol to Osdorp you need the train to Amsterdam Lelylaan where you can change to tram # 1 to Osdorp.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Betty

Hi, Liz. You can find a map of the Paris metro at http://www.paris.org/Metro/gifs/metro01.map.jpg OR http://www.visit-paris.com/ratp/index.html The latter is easier to read but you have to get it in sections- a quarter of the city at a time. In case you have trouble finding your route, if you will e-mail me the name of the metro station nearest to your destination in the 15e, I'll try to help you find the best route. Good luck!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:56 PM
liz

Thank you both so much for the information. <BR>I know my way around both cities (a bit), and just need to pre-plan with schedules and such... <BR>This is great help... <BR>Liz

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Kay

I don't pretend to know much except what I have found researching my trip for Amsterdam: <BR> <BR>www.apti.is.nl/ with tram map at: <BR>www.apti.is.nl/tram-map3.jpg <BR> <BR>and train schedules at: <BR>www.ns.nl/reisplan2.asp

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Liz

Hi, <BR>Thank you for providing me with the info. The gvb.nl website isn't too helpful in providing schedules and such...But I think I may have some maps from last year which could help...I figure that if I make it to Central STation from Schiphol I can check things out there.... <BR>I am planning on going to Paris since the train trip is only 4 hrs., about as much as it took me to drive there from Rotterdam. I have to find out exactly where Gare Du Nord is, so that I can get on the metro (if I remember correct I need to get to line 8 to the 15e arr. Le Motte Piquet area...) I'm not leaving until early Dec. so I have time to figure it out. <BR>Thank you so much! <BR>Liz

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:04 PM
BTilke

Assuming your metro stop is La Motte-Picquet Grenelle, from the Gare du Nord, you take the number 4 metro line (direction Porte d'Orleans) three stops to the Strasbourg-Saint Denis metro stop and change to the number 8 line, direction Balard. There are about 10 stops between Stasbourg-Saint Denis and La Motte Picquet. It's pretty easy, I've done it many times, although I hope you don't have a lot of luggage, there are some stairs. The number 8 line is the main line serving the 15th, although the number 10 line (direction Boulogne). <BR>Not many Fodorites stay in the 15th, so please post a review of your hotel and restaurants in that neighborhood when you get back. <BR>If you are taking the Thalys from Amsterdam, you can buy individual Paris metro tickets at the bar car. Will save you time when you get to Gare du Nord in Paris. Also, several metro stops are under construction and are closed. LaMotte Picquet is a major stop and shouldn't be affected, but check the little tv monitors at the metro station to be sure. Also check the monitors to see if there are any "perturbations" due to strikes, accidents, etc.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:15 AM
liz

Thank you BTilke! <BR>This is tremendously helpful! Wow, I think I'm almost there! <BR>I will be staying with a friend in the 15e arr., haven't stayed in a hotel there. But last year I did see some 2 and 3 star hotels while strolling through the neighborhood. It is a nice area, we were a 10-20 min walk south of the Eiffel Tower.Rue du Commerce is quite lively too. I will have more when I return late Dec. <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Liz