Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Rome to Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-rome-to-florence-370123/)

cheapalice Oct 20th, 2003 11:42 AM

Train from Rome to Florence

Will I have to go into the city of Rome to take a train to Florence, or is there a train station at the airport? Some travel books mention a train at the airport, but I suspect that they might mean a subway train. Thanks

ira Oct 20th, 2003 11:54 AM

Hi alice,

The train is the Leonardo daVinci. It is a shuttle between the airport and Roma TE. Do not take the other, local, train.

Price is 8.8E. It runs every 1/2 hour.

ira Oct 20th, 2003 11:57 AM

PS,

You can buy your ticket to Florence when you buy your ticket to Rome.

cheapalice Oct 20th, 2003 12:29 PM

Thanks Ira, but I'm still a bit confused. Are you saying that there isn't a train that goes directly from the airport to Florence? Am I going to have go into Rome (by one train), and then take another train to Florence? Thanks.

ira Oct 20th, 2003 12:37 PM

Yes, Alice.

You take the shuttle from FCO to Rome TE and then a train (ES* is fastest and most reliable) to Florence FSMN.

Marilyn Oct 20th, 2003 03:33 PM

But as Ira said, giving out one of my favorite travel tips, buy both tickets (airport-Rome Termini and Rome Termini-Florence) at the airport train station. It's a lot easier than hassling with the crowds at Termini.

johnian Oct 20th, 2003 05:03 PM

...and don't forget to have your ticket 'stamped' prior to getting on the train in Termini by putting it in the little yellow self serve boxes that are at the station end of each track as you board the train.

macrina1112 Oct 21st, 2003 06:38 AM

Johnian: Do you know how much it cost both tickets from the airport-Roma-Florence?

Steve_James Oct 21st, 2003 06:45 AM

You don't need 2 tickets - you can book a through ticket from Rome airport to Florence.

The fare should be approx. € 39.00

Hope this helps ...

Steve

csroe Oct 21st, 2003 08:28 AM

Yes cheapalice, you have to take the shuttle train from the airport to the Termini Station in Rome and then connect with your train to Florence. As the others have said however you can get your tickets at the station in the airport.

cheapalice Oct 22nd, 2003 05:18 AM

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm usually a pretty free and easy traveler, but every now and then I get obsessessive about something. This trip it must be this train ride! By the by, are round trip tickets cheaper than two one-way tickets? In other words, when I get the ticket to Florence, should I but it round-trip back to Rome, or doesn't it make a financial differnce?

Steve_James Oct 22nd, 2003 06:05 AM

No financial difference. But getting a round-trip ticket will save you queuing twice :)

Steve

Andre Oct 22nd, 2003 09:10 AM

BUT make sure that the ticket will still be valid on the day you intend to return :)

Hope this helps,
Andre

GAC Oct 22nd, 2003 09:50 AM

As yet a further clarification, the Fiumicino Airport to Rome Termini Station segment is OPEN SEATING, and the ticket (Euro 8.80) is valid for 60 days from the date of purchase. You must "validate" the ticket by date stamping it before boarding the train (Leonardo da Vinci Express, with service every 30 minutes). Travel time on this segment is 31 minutes.

By contrast, the ticket for the Eurostar segment between Rome Termini Station and Florence S. M. Novella Station is valid only for the train selected (day and time), and all seats are automatically assigned by the computer which issues the ticket. If you decide to take a different train on the return trip, you must have the ticket reissued for the new train date and time (and secure a new seat reservation). This can be done free of charge once only, provided the change is made BEFORE the departure time of the Eurostar train on which you are originally booked. Travel time on this segment is 95 minutes, and Eurostar departures are every 30-60 minutes.

justjean2001 Oct 26th, 2003 01:55 PM

Alice,
I am planning a trip to Italy,my
7th, and the "train game" still makes me crazy with indecision! It's so Italian,confusion and exceptions!