Help with Munich/Austria itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Germany for 5 days of business, 2 days in Munich, 3 days in Raubling. Then back to Munich for 5 days on my own. Do I stay in Munich and take day trips, considering it is November and cold, or would you all recommend 2 days in Munich, a night in Salzberg, and any place else? Also, are there any Christmas markets open early to mid-November? Considering the Hotel Torbrau-Thank you
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Considering the fact that in November, the weather can be "iffy", I would stay in Munich. On days when it is not celar, enjoy the sights of Munich. If the weather forcast is favorable, take day trips to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Salzburg, possibly Berchtesgaden and, if you are a Ludwig fan, to Fuessen- Neuschwantein. For all these places you can use the Bayernkarte/ Bavarian ticket discounted train fare. It is a one day ticket,good for all of Bavria, incl. trains to Salzburg; 9AM - 3AM the next day on weekdays; no restrictions on weekends. You can use it only for 2nd class on Regio trains, but for day trips from Munich the time differemce between Regios and faster trains is minimal. For single person EUR22, for up to 5 people travelling on the same ticket EUR28.

For train schedules, check www.b ahn.de

Am not up-t-date on X-mas market schedule. Never stayed at the Torbraeu, but have heard good things about it. It is in a convenient location.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Hi coalie,

Well, I may be prejudiced for my own little (adopted) town, but I would head for and stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. On bad-weather days, you can find plenty to do where you won't be exposed for long: shopping the two pedestrian zones, day-trip to Ettal, Linderhof, Mittenwald or to Innsbruck. On good-weather days, you'll be right in the mountains for a nice Alpine walk.

München's market opens on 27 Nov.

Salzburg's market opens on 20 Nov.

If you elect not to stay in Garmisch, my second choice would be Salzburg. It's small, lovely, very charming, and of course right near the mountains and lakes. You can take excursions to some beautiful countryside, or take walks in the mountains right from the city.

Have fun!

s
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM

I personally would opt for at least three nights in Salzburg. It's a lovely small city and a great base for trips. Lots of nice hotels, restaurants and just a great place overall.

You'll miss the markets, which are quite festive, and weather may be iffy but pack accordingly and you'll be fine.

We enjoyed Garmisch very much for a day trip but we need more options at night so would not stay there for overnight.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi coalie,

I'd spend at least 2 nights in Salzburg. Even though it's a "city", it would be a nice change from Munich in my opinion. If it's a quaint "Bavarian village" with mountain scenery your looking for and your not worried about seeing museums or nightlife, I'd also recommend Mittenwald for a night or two. From here you aren't far from Garmisch, Innsbruck, Ettal and Linderhof.

If you'd like to see one of Ludwig's castles (palaces), Neues Schloss (Herrenchiemsee) is about an hour from Munich and Salzburg. Pretty much in between.

Paul
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM

I concur with Salzburg--more charming.