Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Prague to Budapest (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-prague-to-budapest-983903/)

kbg3511 Jul 3rd, 2013 01:26 PM

Train from Prague to Budapest

What is the nicest and best train to take..?

adrienne Jul 3rd, 2013 02:04 PM

There aren't a lot of options. If you do not want to change trains you take the Eurocity (EC) train in the day or the Euronight (EN) at night. You have to take the train that's going where you're going.

BigRuss Jul 3rd, 2013 02:05 PM

What means "nicest" and what means "best"?

They are central European trains.

They're not luxurious.

They're not fast - they're not TGV or shinkansen.

And your choices are limited. There are the slow overnight trains or the less slow day trains. There are also inexpensive flights.

PalenQ Jul 3rd, 2013 03:23 PM

And there are buses too that can be very cheap and even quicker perhaps than the train. But the overnight train is not the cattle car BigRuss makes it out - apparently he has not ridden mainline night trains lately - private compartments are on par with most in Western Europe IMO and much much cheaper - it is such a long trip so a night train makes sense - yes they go slow so folks do not arrive in say Budapest at 3 am - they time their arrival to a decent hour - you also save on a night cost in a hotel, making it often much cheaper than flying - flhying invariably takes up half a day no matter how short the flight - night trains also save time but only IF you can sleep with a modicum of noise from tracks, station PAs, neighboring compartments, etc.

For loads of great stuff on European night trains I always spotlight these IMO superb sources - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

nytraveler Jul 3rd, 2013 05:00 PM

I would not reco a night train and know you can sleep on it. Some people can;t and end up arriving after a sleepless, uncomfortable night - the berths are not real beds.

joannyc Jul 3rd, 2013 05:27 PM

I'd recommend flying.

centraleurope Jul 3rd, 2013 07:38 PM

I always take the train... The time isn't that much different, and the train allows more flexibility (you can change plans since you do not need an advance purchase, carry on whatever you wish, etc).

Loco2com Jul 4th, 2013 01:05 AM

The Metropol Euronight sleeper train leaves at 11.18pm or sometimes closer to midnight and arrives at 8.35am the next morning, the EuroCity/InterCity trains during the day take just under 7hours between cities. Price I think is about the same so depends whether you want to go by day or by night...

Man_in_seat_61 Jul 4th, 2013 03:12 AM

Just go to the Czech Railways website www.cd.cz/eshop and book a Prague to Budapest ticket on a smart air-conditioned direct EuroCity train from €19.

It'll probably also book the sleeper.

You print out your own ticket.

This journey is too short to warrant all the hassle of a flight, and too long for a cramped bus.

For the record, in the reverse direction (i.e. starting in Budapest) you'd book at the Hungarian Railways site www.mav-start.hu, also from €19.

PalenQ Jul 4th, 2013 04:58 AM

ttt

arewethereyet2 Aug 4th, 2013 02:09 PM

I am planning the exact trip for family of four later this month. The online eshop shows myriad discounts that are difficult to sort out. We are 2 adults and 2 under 25. Will it be less expensive to buy online or at the station in Prague? I plan to book 1st class.

Bobandco Aug 4th, 2013 06:26 PM

My two cents is: I am 50 something and I’ve ridden several trains in the region but never a night train. I am not the heaviest sleeper but I bet I could get to sleep in a few hours. That means I might get 5 hours sleep on an 8 hour train. I need more than 5 hours. I need more than 6 hours If my wife wants to be around me. I also prefer a shower when I wake in the morning. If the train arrives at 8 am and the hotel won’t let me in until noon I am going to feel stinky all morning long and not really enjoy it much.

I am not a huge fan of Vienna but I can’t imagine traveling between Prague and Budapest and not stopping for at least one night. Even with my attitude about Vienna I could the lay over. That breaks the train trip into two daytime segments and ensures hot water and showers.

Heading north out of Budapest on a night train doesn’t present any safety concerns but I wouldn’t cross Romania or Bulgaria on a night train. Been there on day trains and it was great, had friends and associates that had less luck on the night trains.

PalenQ Aug 5th, 2013 11:26 AM

Night trains are obviously not for light sleepers - even in private compartments you will have noise - lots of track noise - loud speakers when the train is in stations, etc. So yes if a light sleep eschew night trains for sure.

arewethereyet2 Aug 6th, 2013 07:18 PM

Any help on the buy now vs buy later question?
arewethereyet2 on Aug 4, 13 at 3:09pm
I am planning the exact trip for family of four later this month. The online eshop shows myriad discounts that are difficult to sort out. We are 2 adults and 2 under 25. Will it be less expensive to buy online or at the station in Prague? I plan to book 1st class.

PalenQ Aug 8th, 2013 12:11 PM

1st class tickets are not always discounted and if they ain't then just buy them in Prague - or if the savings is miniscule - then you retain your flexibility and you can always always get on those trains IME in first class - always lots of empty seats on my trains I ride with a first-class pass - if bent on booking at any cost and I understand that with a family as a last resort try RailEurope in the U.s. - yes you will pay a bit more - sometimes more than a bit more than there but you'll have tickets in hand - for any RE product I suggest calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com - I've bought asses from him for years and he gives great personal service - patiently answering any questions, etc. But if it were me I'd just wait to Prague if I could not understand online booking process or the savings were minimal.

Bobandco Aug 8th, 2013 04:47 PM

PalenQ, thank you! I needed a laugh tonight.

arewethereyet2 Aug 8th, 2013 07:51 PM

Thank you! Am just hoping its not like the experience I've had in some European countries with horrendous lines.

PalenQ Aug 9th, 2013 05:03 AM

ttt