Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Pisa dilemma (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-pisa-dilemma-395021/)

MariaPat Feb 3rd, 2004 03:55 PM

Train from Pisa dilemma

My husband and I will fly into Pisa. How do we best get to Rome from airport? I want the safest, easiest route to go with luggage. Thanks! Maria

adrienne Feb 3rd, 2004 07:58 PM

Hi Maria,

Since no one has answered your question I'll try to help you out but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. There are 3 options...fly, drive, or train. I suppose flying would be the easiest way since you'll already be at the Pisa airport. Once in Rome you can then take the train into town or take a cab (or limo service) directly to your hotel.

If your end destination is Rome I wouldn't drive since a one-day car rental is very expensive and I wouldn't recommend driving in Rome.

I don't know what you mean by safest since traveling in Italy is not unsafe.

If you have more specific questions then please post again.

adrienne Feb 3rd, 2004 08:04 PM

Hi again,

Sorry - I clicked on your post but then was distracted and didn't see the heading when I re-read your question so didn't realize you wanted to take the train to Rome and the "safest, easiest route" part of your question confused me. I believe the train goes right to the Pisa airport (it used to). There is an 11:45 train (and others) from Pisa Centrale to Rome Termini (main train station). It takes 4 hours. If the train no longer goes to the Pisa airport you will need to ask at the information counter there about getting to the Pisa Centrale station. There will be cabs or buses to take you to the main train station in Pisa. You can get the complete train schedule on this web site:

http://www.trenitalia.com/home/en/

GAC Feb 4th, 2004 06:24 AM

There is train service from the Pisa airport to Pisa Centrale station, but the local bus is much more frequent. It goes to Piazza Stazione, where you board your train to Rome.

There are essentially two types of trains on this route: the "DIRETTO" train, which takes 4 hours and costs 15.44 Euros (second class). You cannot reserve seats on the "Diretto" train. However, it originates in Pisa Centrale, so you won't have problems securing a seat.

Then there is the "INTERCITY" train, which takes 3 hours and costs 23.03 Euros (second class). Most of the Intercity trains originate in Genova or Torino, so they may already be full when they stop at Pisa. You can reserve a seat on the Intercity train, but need to do so at least 3 hours prior to departure time. SOOOOOO, you may well find the "Diretto" train to be your best choice.

If the Intercity train leaves sooner, I would ask the ticket agent at the station whether there are free seats (he can look at his computer screen). You might also splurge for first class (31.40 Euros), where there are likely to be more free seats.

The "Diretto" train stops at more stations, which is why it takes one hour longer than the Intercity train.
The "Diretto" train usually does NOT have air conditioning, whereas the Intercity should.

Train schedules and fares: www.trenitalia.com

ira Feb 4th, 2004 06:35 AM

Very good post, GAC

GeoffHamer Feb 4th, 2004 06:49 AM

In case it wasn't clear from previous posts, reserved seats on Intercity trains are marked by labels which are displayed above the seat or, if the seat is in a compartment, outside the compartment. Therefore, reservations close a couple of hours before the train starts its journey, which may be several hours before the train gets to Pisa. To travel on the Intercity train, you need to pay a supplementary fare; if you buy a ticket for the slow train then board the Intercity, the ticket inspector will charge you extra. Either way, this is nothing to worry about as train fares in Italy are still cheap by Western European standards.