Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Hotel d L'Odeon (6e - St.Sulpice) or Grand Hotel Champagne (1e) for 1st-timers in Paris?

Help! Hotel d L'Odeon (6e - St.Sulpice) or Grand Hotel Champagne (1e) for 1st-timers in Paris?

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Rita

Please help me decide! I can get a quad room at either hotel. Which is better for 2 kids (ages 10 & 7) for our first trip to Paris? Surrounding area? Easy walks? Restaurants the kids will like? Thank you!

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Sue

I would certainly prefer the 6th. GHC is across from a huge mall; Odeon is close to street market (rue de Buci), not far from the Luxembourg gardens. Good pizza place: Le Golfe de Naples at the corner of Mabillon and Clement. Lots of restaurants in the area and across St. Germain on/near Buci. Just wander and look.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:32 AM
richardab

Thats a hard choice! The Odeon is on a nice active street in St Germain with the Boulevard St German just a few minutes away. A great area.

The Grand Hotel Champagne is on a street which is not as active or attractive, but is vey queit. It is within walking distance to the Louvre, Hotel de Ville, Notre Dame and may of the good sights. The rue de Rivoli is just steps from the hotel and offers great moderate shopping and interesting shops.

I am not sure what you are looking for but for central location I would pick the Hotel Champagne. It's right near the Chatelet Metro Station which is the largest and offers the most Metro lines in the most directions. For a more atmospheric location, pick the Odeon.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Rita

Thank you for the help! We'll go with L'Odeon.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Kay

Can anyone share comments on the rooms at Grand Hotel Champagne?

I would also like to know if anyone has stayed at Hotel Odeon, this one is on rue Odeon not rue St. Suplice. If so, how is this hotel?

Thank you.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:17 AM
richard

I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel, its all about the neighborhood. Frankly I choose the Champagne because of its very central location. Have you tried the Hotel Britannique? i stayed there and loved it. Although if you are going in the summer there is NO air conditioning. Winter is OK!

http://www.hotel-britannic.com/