Reload this Page >

Trying to decide between Nice and Aix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:18 AM
jessica

I have to spend one night in either Nice or Aix de Provence. (on my way to somewhere else) I will have a half a day to sightsee. Which place would be a better short stop? Thanks.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Patrick

If you had said a week, then I'd suggest Aix, a great base for exploring Provence. But since you have only half a day, I'd say to pick Nice.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:12 AM
cyndy

For only 1 night, stay in Nice, there is more to do and see in a compact area. Aix is a lovely town but as Patrick suggested, it's better when you have more time to explore.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Cathy

I have been to both and it depends on what you want. I prefer Aix, because I have been to both and Nice is just too Metropolitan, kind of dirty, and a little scary. While Aix, is smaller, quieter, cleaner. Very much the sterotypical Provincial town. They have excellent open air markets and restaurants. They also have a very large student population.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:43 PM
P. Cezanne

<BR><BR>Nice or Aix on your way to somewhere else? How mysterious. <BR><BR>Comparing Aix to Nice is like comparing apples to peaches, or pears to grapes. <BR><BR>They both have their own merits so I would say it depends on which one fits better into your itinerary. <BR><BR>If you will be passing by both of them, say on your way from Spain to Italy or vice versa, then I would recommend a half day in Aix. The only potential problem is that I recall people here saying that the beautiful main street of Aix, the Cours Mirabeau, was torn up from renovation a while ago. I assume the work is complete by now but perhaps not.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:41 AM
feemie

I'm drawn to Aix. Smaller more charming. I'd go with whichever was more convenient on the itinerary as well.<BR> <BR>I was in Aix at the beginning of March. Still quite a bit of construction going on at that time, yet it was all in one isolated area. Once over the to the quaint side streets, couldn't hear or see anything construction related and it didn't effect my trip at all.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Ron

For only a one night stay, how about St Paul de Vence? This is a charming hill town a short distance from Nice.