Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Lyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-paris-charles-de-gaulle-to-lyon-901794/)

PRLCH Aug 6th, 2011 11:42 PM

Train from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Lyon

We will be visiting Lyon in December (from Australia). Scheduled to arrive in CDG at 6:30am and want to take the train from there to Lyon. I am considering just buying a train ticket when we arrive for the next available train but cannot seem to find the "standard" ticket price. All websites seem to list prepurchase fares? Can anyone help here? The downside to prebooking a train is that our flight gets delayed and we miss the train, or alternatively we book it so late that we wait around for a long time. The downside to booking on the spot is that the next train is full and we still have to wait around. How likely is this? How can I work out what a ticket will cost if I front up at the ticket office?

All help appreciated.

Man_in_seat_61 Aug 7th, 2011 12:13 AM

Use www.TGV-Europe.com, selecting Afghanistan as your country to avoid being bumped to Rail Europe with higher prices.

The results will show cheap advance purchase 'prems' fares and flexible buy anytime 'pro' fares.

It could be 20 euros prems, 100 euros pro, so you may want to simply book the prems if it's a big saving allowing for an hour flight delay.

PRLCH Aug 7th, 2011 12:26 AM

Thanks MIS61. If I do this, will I be able to print the tickets at home or do they need to be collected at the ticket office at CDG?

ira Aug 7th, 2011 04:53 AM

Hi PR,

>will I be able to print the tickets at home

You can print PREMS and some other discount tickets online, because they are good for that train only.

If you miss the train, you don't get a refund (usually)

There are many trains from CDG to Lyon. Don't worry about not being able to buy a ticket once you get there.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

StCirq Aug 7th, 2011 07:45 AM

Don't wait until you get there to book a ticket. Cheap PREMs fares are available online 3 months out from your departure date. They are nonexchangeable and nonrefundable, but if you allow enough time you won't miss the train. If you're arriving at aérogare 1, allow about 2.5 hours to get to the TGV station, which is in aérogare 2. If you're arriving in aérogare 2, allow at least 2 hours.

You print the tickets out on your own computer and bring them with you. Unlike regular tickets, they don't have to be composted in the composte machine - you just get on the train with you and make sure you have a picture ID so the conductor knows you are the correct ticket holder.

You will save a lot of money by buying the tickets in advance. There is nothing horrible about spending extra time in the train station at CDG - there are two nice cafés, a news kiosk, and plenty of seating.

Christina Aug 7th, 2011 08:19 AM

YOu aren't looking at the French railway's website if *all* websites you are looking at only like prepurchased fares, because SNCF's websites always list all options. YOu must be looking at some private travel agents websites.