Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Orvieto to Rome-can anyone confirm that AVIS is located at or very close to the train station?

Train from Orvieto to Rome-can anyone confirm that AVIS is located at or very close to the train station?

Aug 10th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone!

We have reservations thru Auto Europe to drop our car in Orvieto. We plan to take the train into Rome. I looked quickly on Mappy.com and entered the address from the Avis website. It appears that Avis is not really close to the train station (. I suspect that it's a small office so they may not offer complimentary transportation to the rail station either. We will have a lot of luggage so can anyone confirm?? I may want to look at another drop-off option if it's not really close. Thank you!
Aug 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM

When we were in Orvieto in September 2005 with an Avis car, they had to send someone from Terni since they had closed their office in Orvieto. At the time I think I was told that in the future one could NOT return a car to Orvieto, but things may have changed. (We had reserved our car through AutoEurope before the Avis office closing).

Hertz, on the other hand, has an office immediately across the street from the Orvieto train station.

Good luck!

KC
Aug 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
DRJ

Several years ago Avis had an office a cab ride away (five minutes and ten euro) but still in Orvieto Basso. Then they closed the office. They may, however, have reopened. At any rate, the above poster is correct. Hertz is very nearby. (I always train from Rome so I can pranzo at I Sette Consoli.)
Aug 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

It must have reopened because this is a recent booking and I did find the address on the Avis website. Sounds like Hertz is the better option though. Arrgh!! Well at least it's better to find out now instead of when we arrive with 2 huge suitcases!
Aug 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
ira

Hi IL,

Have you called Avis?
Aug 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Avis Customer Service -- Worlwide Reservation Telephone NumbersWithin a Country, Toll Free Number, International Number. United States ... Customer Service, 1-800-352-7900. Avis.com Assistance, 1-800-230-4898 ...
http://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/glob...ice/ww_usc.jsp
Aug 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM

When I am in your shoes I call the car rental office I have to contact either to leave or pick up the car. It is this simple.
Aug 11th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Calling AVIS to see if they have an office in Orvieto - BRILLIANT!
Aug 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Wow--did you bother to read the first line of my post? Auto Europe booked this reservation for us! So yes, Avis DOES have an office in Orvieto however, I found that it is NOT located at the train station. It's somewhat close but, far enough that you wouldn't want to walk if you have a lot of luggage. Auto Europe said that Hertz is located right at the train station (which is what I asked for when I booked the rez) so they cancelled the Avis car and booked my reservation with Hertz.

The problem with my calling the Avis toll-free number is that I got someone here in the USA who really has no clue how far the office is from the train station and the best they could do is to give me the office address which I already knew. They basically tell you the same information that's posted on their website. I did try calling the local number in Orvieto a couple of times but the person I would get on the phone did not speak English.

I only posted because I hoped that someone here might have actually done this previously so they could tell me just how far away it is. It seemed simple enough but I didn't realize I would need to give a detailed account all of my research up front in order for someone to tell me whether they had used Avis in Orvieto as a car drop recently. I'm not stupid! I did know enough to call Avis--but they didn't seem to know the answer either!

Geez!
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Call AutoEurope - BRILLIANT!

the trouble with 'first-hand' experiences is that they are often not up to date.

If i book a car through someone i would demand that they tell me exactly where i can pick it up.