Train from Nice to Italy (Genova+)?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Ann

Train from Nice to Italy (Genova+)?

We'll be in Nice in mid-November & plan on taking a train to Genova or poss. further east (i.e., Santa Margherita) to begin our week long holiday in Italy. I'm having trouble with both the french & italian rail sites (can't tell if these trains are booked, etc.) and am starting to worry that we won't be able to get tickets. Has anyone out there done this before & should I be stressing out like this (particularly in a low-tourist season)? We only have 7 days in Italy & our itinerary is booked (hoping for a quick stint in Cinque Terra then on to Tuscany then flying home out of Rome after some exploration there) so I'd hate to lose valuable time on train logistics/problems...
Thanks in advance for your advice, I've gotten so much useful info from patrons of this site!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:25 PM
Book Chick

Ann,
I used to live in Italy & I never had any problem booking this particular train. (I enjoyed Nice a lot & used to go there on school holidays, sometimes.) Even in summer, I did not have any difficulty, so I can't imagine that there would be exceptionally high demand in November.

Go & have a wonderful time!

Best Wishes,
BC

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Ann

Thank you, BC! That makes me feel better... so you think we can just get tickets --hopefully, for the first train, I think it's at 7:37am, on Saturday -- when we're in Nice for this train. Did you buy your tickets at all ahead of time, or did you just get them at the station (or do we need to go to a travel agent)? Do you recommend we buy them a few days in advance? Finally, did you take SNFC or Trenitalia on this trip? Sorry for pelting you with questions, but sounds like you're a pro...

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:39 PM
wendy

I took this train last year and I just showed up and bought a ticket from the machine with my ATM card. Don't sweat it, BUT be ready for Italian police to get on at the border and ask for your passport and travel plans.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:45 PM
Book Chick

Ann,
Just showed up at the station--true story--each & every time. Took SNFC. Wendy's right--border police do get on the train, but during my time there, they looked at the outside of my passport, asked if I was an American & simply went on after I nodded yes. (These days, though, things may very well take a bit more time.)

Bon Voyage & Buon Viaggio,
BC

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Ben Haines

I gree with what everybody has saod bot booking ahead -- no need.

The refetrence libraryof a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Tble 90 shows trains thus.

Nice 0755, Ventimiglia 0837 to 0847, Genoa Piazza Principale 1144 to 1232, bufet car train, Rapallo 1302.

Nice 0957 or 1002, Rivera dei Fiori Express with first class panorama car and buffet car, and with restaurant car from 1042, Genoa Piazza Principale 1306 to 1420, Santa Marghrita-Portofino 1458

Nice 2035, through train with sleepers, couchettes or seats, Santa Marghrita-Portofino 0124.

I'm interested to hear of the border controls. I thought they'd vanished under the Schengen treaty.

Please write if can help further. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines, London

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:35 PM
Helen

Hi Ann! Lucky you! I was in south of France and Italy as recent as last week! Took the train from Menton to Rapallo - no ned to book, as all the others have said. And there was no checking when we crossed the border - and this was the third time we did it since 1998 - they have not checked once!

Enjoy your journey! I'm still suufering from withdrawal symptoms!

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:05 PM
mkp

I took the train from Genova to Rome with no problem. I always pay extra for a reservation with my ticket. You can rent a car in Genova and take the short drive to Santa Margherita or Portofino. The staff at the Genova train station were very nice to us. You do have to go up and down stairs to get to the trains, but you can find a porter if you need one.