Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Munich to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-munich-to-rome-1003259/)

tenangels77 Jan 18th, 2014 08:59 PM

Train from Munich to Rome

Can you catch a train from Munich direct to Rome, or does it stop along the way.? I've been looking at and getting some advice from www.capitainetrain.com, which has been great, but has anyone here done this trip? ; )

tenangels77 Jan 18th, 2014 09:00 PM

From what I understand, booking a few months in advance can get you cheaper tickets, and can secure seats?

Man_in_seat_61 Jan 18th, 2014 11:27 PM

OPTION 1, SLEEPER...

A direct City Night Line sleeper train leaves Munich 21:08, arrives Rome Termini 09:22 next morning.

Book at www.bahn.de/en and print your own ticket.

Fares from €59 with couchette, from €104 with bed in a 2-bed sleeper with washbasin, breakfast included, shower at the end of the corridor, or from €134 with a bed in a 2-bed deluxe sleeper with shower & toilet, breakfast included.

Booking opens 92 days ahead (or should do), fares vary so book early for the cheapest rates.

See the photos at www.seat61.com/citynightline.htm

OPTION 2, DAYTIME TRAINS

Now you must split the booking.

Book a morning train from Munich to Verona at www.bahn.de/en from €39

Allow at least 45 mins to change trains in Verona.

Book Verona to Rome from €29 at www.trenitalia.com

If you take the 09:28 from Munich, this goes beyond Verona to Bologna, so you'd split this booking at Bologna rather than Verona.

Dukey1 Jan 19th, 2014 02:34 AM

I am not quite sure why Seat61 recommends a 45-minute layover in Verona. The station is not all that large and you might have to go from one platform to another but that's it.

You can also, and perhaps more easily, book the Italian portion at www.italiarail.com

neckervd Jan 19th, 2014 12:47 PM

It seems to me to have heard once that it cannot be completely excluded that Italian trains can sometimes be late, even those arriving at Verona.

tenangels77 Jan 19th, 2014 01:21 PM

Thanks for your help, can you tell me are the day time trains scenic? I don't mind changing at Verona or bologna into Rome, like dukey1 said if the stations aren't that big, we don't mind the wait.

Mind you the sleeper sounds good too, leave Munich at night and arrive in Rome the following morning.

Thanks again! : )

Dukey1 Jan 19th, 2014 03:10 PM

Depending on how late a train is, sometimes even a station with only a couple of platforms is "too big" but remember that Verona has several platforms and to get from one to another you have to negotiate ramps/stairs. I simply don't think as a <B>general</B> rule you'd need to allot 45 minutes but better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

neckervd Jan 20th, 2014 06:57 AM

Dukey: I would have perfectly agreed with you about 30 years ago. At this time, train travel was still easy and customer friendly in Italy. You could just hop into any train, even after having booked seats in another one. Standard tickets were valid in all trains.

But nowadays, you can only book specific trains and get in serious trouble if you lack them (even if that's because the previous trenitalia train you used was late). I made the experience, that the information offices in Italian railway stations are of absolutely no help in such cases (even if you speak fluently Italian).

Therefore, a layover of 45 min isn't a bad thing. In the case your train arrives in time, it allows you to sit down in a railway station bar and to enjoy a cappuccio and a brioche without any hurry.

Grindeldoo Jan 20th, 2014 07:04 AM

Verona station is certainly quite a bit smaller than the one at Bologna, so easier to change platforms, but fewer services. The other thing to remember is that on anything other than very local trains in Italy you have to have a seat reservation, which you get with your booking. Miss a train and you've lost your booking.

Goldens Jan 20th, 2014 08:18 AM

The trains are scenic but it's a long haul.
We always take the CityNightLine and follow Man in Seat 61's excellent advice.
It is very easy to print your own ticket from the bahn.de website. You can go there and look at the route. Make sure to book the CNL where you don't change trains (leaving 21:08 arriving 9:22).