Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Train from Milan airport to Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-milan-airport-to-florence-871163/)

Orion Dec 29th, 2010 01:44 PM

Train from Milan airport to Florence

How difficult to get from the airport in Milan to the train station to catch a train to Florence?
TIA

kybourbon Dec 29th, 2010 02:52 PM

There are a couple of trains from the airport to Florence that don't involve changing trains. Currently, only two per day with the first one departing the airport at 12:22 and arriving Florence at 2:38. Cost is 57€ for 2nd cl. If that time doesn't work for you, then you need to shuttle bus or train into Milan Centrale where there are at least one departure per hour to Florence taking between 1:45 and 2:00 hours with cost of 52€ 2nd cl. The only other train from the airport that doesn't require a change doesn't depart until 19:22, but they are supposedly in the process of adding more of these trains.

Orion Dec 29th, 2010 06:13 PM

Thanks kybourbon,

We will be arriving in Milan at 8:25 in the AM. It may be easier to wait for the 12:22 train, than to make our way to Milan Centrale. Can we pre-purchase the tickets from the US, or obtain them once we arrive in Milano?

GAC Dec 29th, 2010 06:55 PM

Read this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-firenze.cfm?5

With a four-hour connection at Milano Centrale, you would likely be able to take the Frecciarossa high-speed train from Milano Centrale to Florence one hour sooner than if you were to wait for the 12:22 p.m. direct train from the airport. You could take an earlier train from Malpensa airport to Milano Centrale, then change to the Frecciarossa train to Florence. If you have lots of luggage and prefer not to change trains, just take the direct train at 12:22 p.m. Even if you decide to take the connecting trains, you can purchase the ticket for the two trains (or a thru ticket) at the Malpensa Airport train station, thereby avoiding needing to stand in line once again at Milano Centrale.

Checking the schedules, I note that if you can make the 10:43 train from Malpensa to Milano Centrale, you can arrive in Florence one hour sooner than if you wait for the direct train at 12:22.

kybourbon Dec 29th, 2010 07:50 PM

Scroll down for a list of train departures from Malpensa to Milan Centrale.

http://www.trainmilanmalpensa.com/

Orion Dec 29th, 2010 07:59 PM

EXCELLENT!!!

Thank you both very much.

GAC Dec 30th, 2010 04:14 AM

It may be overkill to point out, but do take note that some trains from Milan Malpensa Airport to NOT go into Milan Centrale station. This is clearly borne out in the hyperlinked schedule posted by kybourbon above. BE CAREFUL that the train you take from the airport does indeed to into Milan Centrale, where you will connect to your train to your final destination (Verona, Venice, Genoa, Bologna, Florence, etc.). Otherwise, you will needlessly waste a lot of time and energy connecting from one of the other Milan stations to Milan Centrale. Notice that all but the two direct Trenitalia trains (which proceed to Bologna and Florence) are operated by LE NORD train lines. On the Trenitalia website, these LE NORD trains are designated as "Espressi", even though they are really very modern commuter trains.

On-time incoming arrivals by plane at Malpensa Airport very rarely need three or four hours of connecting time to proceed by train to Milan and beyond. Under normal conditions, a connection time of two hours (or even less) should suffice. That means that incoming arrivals as late as 10:20 may be able to "make" the direct Trenitalia train which departs from the airport train station at 12:22. And taking the direct train is certainly more convenient than needing to connect trains at Milan Centrale (although the connection itself is easy, aside from the efforts required with respect to luggage).

Orion Jan 16th, 2011 11:44 AM

Well we are defining our itinerary some. Our previous trips to either France or Spain, we always travel striclty with a rental car. This time we want to try a bit of traveling on the train.

After arriving in Milano, we will take the train into Firenze. Stay there for three nights (Hotel Casci)exploring Firenze.

We will then take the train to Castiglion Fiorentino. There we will pick up a rental car and spend three nights in the country outside of Castiglion Fiorentino. Drop off the car and take the train up to Asti. Pick up a rental car and three nights in Alba (Villa La Favorita). From there we still have a week on our trip.

Given that it will then be the middle of April, I am worried that if we head up to either the lakes or into Switzerland, it may still be a bit too cold. Any thoughts or suggestions?

ellenem Jan 16th, 2011 11:50 AM

Do I understand that you plan to drop off a car, take the train, and pick up another car all on the same day? Why not just keep the car? Making this connection by train doesn't seem to benefit in any way.

By the last week of April, the azaleas and rhododendrons are in full bloom at Lake Como. Hope this helps you anticipate the weather.

newt00 Jan 19th, 2011 03:08 PM

I will be arriving on a similar early flight (8:45AM) into Malpensa in February and am also looking to travel straight to Florence. I have read several helpful posts concerning the new Frecciarossa high speed trains from the airport to Florence with stops in Centrale and Bologna.

Couple Questions:

1) Does the Frecciarossa high speed train depart from the airport or from a remote location close to the airport?

Some of the information I read reference a bus shuttle to Gallarate for the high speed train service. I am trying to work out the logistics of getting from the airport to the train and I can't find a direct answer. The Malpensa airport website provides a nice map of the airport and how to get to the lower level for the train ticket counters, but I'm not sure if I need to purchase another ticket for shuttle service to an offsite location.

2) Do I need to purchase the Frecciarossa high speed ticket ahead of time or is it OK to purchase upon arrival at the airport?

Given the time of year, weather delays could easily occur and I also like the outside chance of potentially catching the Express to Centrale and an earlier train to Florence.

Thanks much for any insight!!

Orion Jan 23rd, 2011 05:16 AM

Ellenem,

The rental car we are using in Castiglion Fiorentino is from an individual and we will have to return it there locally.

Newt00,

I can not answer your questions. Possibly someone else can weigh in.

ellenem Jan 23rd, 2011 11:45 AM

newt00,

I would not purchase train tickets until I arrives and knew exactly what train I would be able to take. To many unpredictable things could delay you . . . or not.

ellenem Jan 23rd, 2011 12:48 PM

until I "arrived"

(the s and d are adjacent, so my bad typing shows.)