Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   train from Madrid to Cordoba, can I take an earlier train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/train-from-madrid-to-cordoba-can-i-take-an-earlier-train-997722/)

DeborahAnn Nov 13th, 2013 07:56 AM

train from Madrid to Cordoba, can I take an earlier train

There is a very comprehensive explanation of the RENFE trains on tripadvisor but I can't seem to copy the link. Of interest to me is the following paragraph in the explanation----

If you arrive at Atocha two or three hours before your booked train leaves, check the electronic board and see if there is an earlier train going to your destination. If there is, go to the ticket office and ask for a change to the earlier train, which you can get for free.

We will be arriving to Madrid from the US and taking the train to Cordoba the same day. If I have a Promo plus (P+) ticket on a AVE train and we have more than enough time at the Atocha station, can we take an earlier train if seats available at no additional cost or can I only do this if I originally purchase a full price (F) ticket.

Thanks for all the train help, I think I've almost got it figured out, of course that could change as soon as I try to purchase my tickets ;;) Deborah

Robert2533 Nov 13th, 2013 08:05 AM

The following is from the Renfe web site:

Changes (www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/tarifas/index.html)
Both the outward and return tickets can be changed independently and – provided that the departure and destination stations remain the same and the journey is made within the period of validity – without extra charge.

If there is a price difference for the new ticket, the customer must pay the corresponding amount.

NOTE, some steeply discounted tickets are cannot be exchanged or changed for a new ticket.

Christina Nov 13th, 2013 08:43 AM

The whole point of deeply discounted tickets is they are not treated the same as full fare in terms of refunds/exchanges, otherwise they'd be the same as full fare. SO no, you cannot if you have a discounted fare like a Promo. The Renfe sites states terms of that fare, I think that is a better source than Tripadvisor for RENFE rules.

http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/tarifa...ete_promo.html

Changes or cancellations are not allowed.

ira Nov 13th, 2013 09:34 AM

Hi DA,

If you have a discounted ticket, is good only for that train.

((I))

Dukey1 Nov 13th, 2013 09:38 AM

Please do not go to the ticket window and cry or tell them you are on your honeymoon. THAT only works at airports.

joannyc Nov 13th, 2013 09:51 AM

Even though their website states that no changes are allowed, I'd give it a shot. What do you have to lose?

DeborahAnn Nov 13th, 2013 10:35 AM

Still not fully understanding these fares--I've bought train tickets online for Italy, France and England without any trouble, why am I having so many problems understanding the train fares in Spain UGH!!!

When I read the limitations of the Promo plus which is not the heaviliest (is there such a word??) discounted fare, it does say that a change is allowed but would have a fee equal to 20% of the original ticket and if the price of the new ticket is higher, we would need to pay that difference.

So I could make a change but it would cost me 20% of the original ticket but to make that change even happen would there need to be promo plus seat available? Which would be very unlikely on a same day purchase.

Thanks for trying to help me understand this fare structure, I only have two months to figure this out before I can start buying my tickets LOL ;;) Deborah

PalenQ Nov 13th, 2013 11:38 AM

Which would be very unlikely on a same day purchase.>

Naw those trains can usually be bought the same day - I guess the worst would be you'd have to go first-class - always tickets available there IME. there are so so many trains so so many seats.

Robert2533 Nov 13th, 2013 01:11 PM

"What do you have to lose?" Your time! When they say no changes allowed, they mean precisely that.

Reserved seating is not unlimited on medium and long distance trains. On most of the routes, the coaches are assigned to a route based on the number of tickets sold in advance. On some routes, seats are limited because of the makeup of the train.

Yes, there may be a few preference class seats available of the day of travel, but they would be full fare tickets, which can be quite expensive. Like paying rack rate at a hotel.

If you were traveling on the Regional trains, then yes, buying a ticket the same day of travel is generally not a problem.

joannyc Nov 13th, 2013 01:35 PM

<< "What do you have to lose?" Your time! >>

What difference does that make when the OP will most likely be at the train station anyway with their luggage in tow waiting for their scheduled train?

I wouldn't think they'd be out running around Madrid upon arrival unless their scheduled train was many hours later. If so, first, they'd need to store their luggage somewhere anyway so the train station would make sense.

lincasanova Nov 13th, 2013 05:13 PM

It's always difficult to decide when saving some $$ now with a promo fare is really advantageous when arriving on international or even domestic flights. The possibilities of having to hang around the station much longer than you'd like, or even missing your train are variables to take into account.

You'll just have to pay it by ear, but all the fares are well explained on the website with the restrictions for each of them.

Man_in_seat_61 Nov 13th, 2013 10:54 PM

Promo is non-changeable.

Promo+ is changeable for a 20% fee + the difference in fare.

The difference in fare on the day of travel when all Promo and Promo+ fares are sold out will be the difference between the whatever you paid and the Flexible fare, €62.

DeborahAnn Nov 24th, 2013 04:15 AM

Maninseat61, thank you for the explanation. When I start reserving our train tickets I will keep that in mind. I appreciate and use often your very helpful website when I'm trying to understand the train systems in the UK and Europe. Thanks again, Deborah