Train from London to Salisbury

Old Dec 25th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from London to Salisbury

My husband and I were planning on taking a train from London to Bath, spending one night and then driving on to the Cotswolds the next day. I really would like to see Stonehenge. Does it make sense to take the train from London to Salisbury, pick up our car there, drive to Stonehenge and then on to Bath. Is that a fairly easy drive and the best way to get to both areas?
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, you could definitely do Salisbury/Stonehenge enroute to Bath.

But in that case I probably wouldn't bother w/ trains at all. I'd go out to Heathrow early AM and collect my car there. Visit Avebury, then Stonehenge and Salisbury and then drive on to Bath that afternoon. Just make sure your B&B or hotel in Bath has parking.
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj. I knew you would know the answer! How hard is it to get the car at Heathrow? Is it outside of the terminal building? I assume the taxi would know how to get us there. We just don't want to drive in London proper. First time driving on "wrong" side of the road, need a little open space to become adjusted.
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM

" Is it outside of the terminal building? I"

All the rental agencies are just off the airport mostly off the A4/Bath Road.

"We just don't want to drive in London proper."

That is why I suggested LHR - it is one of the VERY easiest places to start out from. MUCH easier for your first few miles to be on the motorway out of the LHR area than from/in Bath.

" I assume the taxi would know how to get us there. " Don't take a taxi. If you take the tube to LHR the rental agencies have shuttle buses. Or if you want to spend a bit more, you can book a car service like justairports.com to take you from your hotel right to the rental office.
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. You seem quite familiar with everything "UK". Do you live there or just visit often? You probably have answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet! Would you mind telling me what you think is worth seeing in Bath, as we have limited time there. We'll be there for only one night and only the remainder of the day we arrive there. The following morning we leave for The Cotswolds. Open to any suggestions for there as well!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

soodson Dec 26, 12 at 7:01pm

Thanks so much for your help. You seem quite familiar with everything "UK". Do you live there or just visit often? You probably have answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet! Would you mind telling me what you think is worth seeing in Bath, as we have limited time there. We'll be there for only one night and only the remainder of the day we arrive there. The following morning we leave for The Cotswolds. Open to any suggestions for there as well!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM

I went to Bath as a daytrip from London and thought the Roman Baths were fabulous. After the Baths, you could have something to eat in the Pump Room. I recommend a visit to Bath Abbey, which was beautiful. There is a Hop On Hop Off bus that will give you a good overview of the city. The ticket is good for 24 hours so if you arrive late afternoon, you will still be able to use it the next morning. We had dinner at Sally Lunns, one of the oldest houses in Bath. There’s lots more to do, but these are the only things I can comment on.

http://www.romanbaths.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.bathabbey.org/
http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tour...andingposition
http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/
http://visitbath.co.uk/
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Soods, I agree with Lovs2travel about the HOHO bus in Bath. There are two routes – one in the city (which stops frequently) and one around the adjoining country side which is beautiful – lush, green, upmarket homesteads amid gorgeous farms and pastures.

You will love Bath…
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM

hi,

No, I live in N. California - but I did live in England for about 5 years and try to get back there as often as I can.

The Roman Baths are THE 'must' but just the city itself is a major attraction. I've taken folks on the H-o-H-o bus but I might not in your situation. After the Baths/Pump Room and Abbey (all next door to each other) IMO the biggest bang for your short time would be just to walk. The pedestrian precincts, the Circus, the Royal Crescent, Royal Victoria Park - just strolling is the way to see things.

If you had another day - then the H-o-H-o might make more sense.

Budget your time well - touring the Baths takes quite a bit of time. Then you exit through the Pump Room and the Abbey is just across the plaza.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will check out those websites!

janisj...we happen to be the walking types, never ever been on a HOHO bus anywhere in Europe. Glad to hear that that will serve us well in Bath too. Wish we had more time there, but we're off to The Cotswolds, The Lake District and then on to Scotland. Thanks for the insite about the Tatoo, can't wait to see it, been telling everyone!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

One more question...when we are talking about the baths, are we referring to just touring them, or is everyone recommending spending some time IN the Therma bath too? I see the Pump Room serves lunch or afternoon tea? Is the tea "experience" as good as having lunch there? Thanks
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM

The modern Thermae baths/spa are in a different building (the spa's website seems to be down).

Just touring the Roman Baths can easily take 2 hours or more. IMO you really don't have time for a spa experience too.

Depending on your timing - afternoon tea in the Pump Room would be fun. If that doesn't work you could go to Sally Lunn's http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/ Touristy but for a reason - they do a nice afternoon tea.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

janisj, if you don't mind me picking your brain a little...wondering your thoughts on the highlights in the Cotswolds for sight seeing as well as meals. We'll be staying in Burton on the Water but are willing to be very mobile. Only there for 1 1/2 days and 2 nights. Appreciate your insights!

Everyone else as well!!
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM

There are no 'highlights' in the Cotswolds really. Just being there is the thing. It is an area of lovely villages/towns/churches/marvelous walking. But no knock you socks off WOW's.

From Burton there are a lot of lovely places w/i a short drive.

• Lower Slaughter would be a 'must' - park near the church and walk along the river up to the mill.

• Burford is a lively small town w/ a wonderful 'wool church' (be sure to go inside) and lots of shops/pubs/restaurants.

• Minster Lovell Old Hall is nearby w/ its curious doocot (Dovecote) and riverside setting. Park in the small free car park and walk up the lane to the church and the Old Hall ruins and then through kissing gates and around a farm yard to the doocot.

There are many other places just a little farther away: Stanton - a small village climbing a steep hill w/ a pub at the very top w/ views forever. Snowshill - a VERY curious collection of 'stuff' in a manor house w/ lovely gardens. The beautiful ruins of Hailes Abbey and a remarkable ancient church just across the road.

There are more -but you'll do well getting to just some of the above.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

That all sounds amazing! That's exactly the type of"wow" I was hoping to find. There will be enough big highlights in London I'm sure! Thank you for sharing. The woman who runs the guest house named 3 restaurants locally and asked if I wanted her to make us reservations. My "reservation" about that is having to be somewhere at a certain time. Can we just eat where we end up, or do we need to have a reservation somewhere??
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 11:37 PM

... do we need to have a reservation somewhere??

Generally no - I imagine the B&B owner was just trying to be helpful (and maybe drumming up a bit of business for friends running these restaurants). The Cotswolds is generally a day-trip sort of place and is much quieter in the evenings when the coach party hordes have left. One exception when you probably would need to think about dinner reservations would be bank holiday weekends. When is your trip?

Another obvious Cotswold attraction not mentioned above is Hidcote Manor Garden - http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hidcote/

By the way, it's "Bourton-on-the-Water".
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM

"By the way, it's "Bourton-on-the-Water"."

I know that

Was just posting fast and forgot to preview.. . .

And yes, Hidcote Manor is fantabulous. I didn't mention it because the gardens take at least 2 or 3 hours and you may not have enough time.

But if you are into gardens -- they are a must.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. You all have been so much help!

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on London Walks tours. Is it worth doing a "royal" or other tour the first day we are there. It that a good substitute for HOHO bus, or should we do both or neither?
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM

London Walks are very long established and are probably the best company for walking tours. I've never been on a bad one.

For the ££ LW's can't be beat. But I might wait til you are there to decide if you want to take one on your arrival day.

The H-o-H-o is an entirely different animal, w/ entirely different objectives, at much higher cost.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 02:47 AM

Second what Janis says about making sure your hotel in Bath has sufficient parking if you go by car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -