Train from London to Perth

Aug 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Train from London to Perth

Spouse and I have flight to London mid Sept. Will spend 3-4 days there b4 heading to Perth x 10 days to visit an elderly relative. We will actually be staying in her Elie house. We plan on renting a car in Perth and daytripping around that area and Borders. Any tips RE: the train and car rentals in Perth?? Thanks.
Aug 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Elie is in Fife - no Elie in Perthshire that I know of. If it was me, I'd take the train to Edinburgh and then drive over to Elie from there. Driving in Edinburgh is difficult, but as long as your train doesn't arrive in the middle of the morning or afternoon commute, driving out of the city isn't bad.

Another option would be to fly to EDI and rent your car from the airport and not have any city driving at all.

One reason I recommend EDI or Edinburgh is you'd have a better choice of car hire companies. I usually start by getting a quote from AutoEurope (a major broker - not a rental company) and then go to other sites to see what else is available. IME AutoEurope or it's sister company Kemwel will have the best rates maybe 60%-70% of the time.
Aug 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your info. We may take the train to Edinburgh and rent a car there. We still have to go to Perth 1st to get the key and see the relative, and get directions for the house in Elie. Yes, it's just S of St Andrews- not real close, but not too far, either.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Oh - right. If you have to go to Perth in any case -- then train to Perth does make sense. But your choice of rental companies will be more limited.

The drive from Edinburgh to Perth is very easy though so that would still make sense if it saved you ££ on a car hire.

Search this Thread