Train from London to Edinburgh..

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
CALLI

Train from London to Edinburgh..

I know I can take a train between London and Edinburgh. I would like to stop and get off along the way to see the sites. Where is a good stopping off point? The train looks like it runs through York and Newcastle..are these two towns that I shouldn't miss? We are interested in pottery.

Can anyone also recommend a B&B in Edinburgh for one night?

Thanks

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:20 AM
janis

York is Fabulous. Nothing much for tourists in Newcastle, though. Be sure to stop in York - you can either at an early morning train from Kings Cross, spend most of the day in York which is very walkable, and take an early evening train on to Edinburgh, OR you cna stay overnight in York and travel ont to Edinburgh the next day.

Neither York or Newcastle has much of interest re potteries - except for great china and collectible shopping in York

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:24 AM
janis

Oops - forgot to reply re the Edinburgh B&B. A LOT depends on when you are going. In the summer - especially in late July and all of August - many Edinburgh B&Bs have a 3 or more night minimum.

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:54 AM
CALLI

We are traveling April 13...so I need to get in gear. Thank you

Mar 25th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Ben Haines

The Yahoo site http://uk.google.yahoo.com/bin/query...ery+Durham&y=u shows several potteries in Durham. Berwick on Tweed has potteries, for one see http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/vg/crafts.htm and for another go to Tower House Pottery, Tower Road, Tweedmouth, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Tel (01289) 307314. Yahoo shows York less well supplied with potteries: I have not tried Newcastle.

In Edinburgh in festival time, Auguist, Moray House College runs a good art show, with beautiful and affordable pots. So affordable that when I pick plums in the garden I pick them into a stoneware bowl of theirs.

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Britain.

Ben Haines, London

Mar 25th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Mel

Calli:
I always stay at the Dunedin Guest House, 8 Priestfield Road in Edinburgh. In fact, the owners have become dear friends. Lovely big rooms with en suite baths, cooked to order breakfast. Four stars, but their prices are excellent. It's the first listing through Rick Steve's so they book up quickly, but you should try. Also, like most B&B's, they seldom take one night reservations for the weekend. The e-mail address is [email protected].
Have a wonderful trip!